My First Bloom!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here's a picture of my first lily bloom! I know it's really small but I've been waiting quite a while for it to bloom! There are two other buds that hopefully will open soon, and they are a lot bigger! Since Koidaddy adopted my koi last month we have been busy making the pond bigger and got a new filter/pump setup and I am really close to getting my new goldies! I can't wait! I'll post pictures when I get closer! :goldfish: DSC00906.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes it's very pretty and dainty looking. Is it a tropical and I didn't see any pads? Will be neat to see more pix when you get your fish and pond set up bigger!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks, I think it's quite pretty. There are lily pads just outside of the picture. I need to get some more plants for the pond. So far I have some lilies and some hornwort and water lettuce. I also have a couple of cattails that I want to plant. Does anyone know if they go in the water or should be planted alongside the pond? I hope I can find some nice goldfish to make it complete.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
cattails need wet roots, they can be planted outside the pond but will need to be watered alot, in the pond be sure and plant in a large container, 5 gallons or larger if you want to see the actual cattail. the more plants that are grouped together the more likely to see the tails.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Keep in mind cattails will spread quite easily, I would do as Larkin suggested and put them in a pot to contain them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just bought some mini cattails and wonder if they will spread .It says clumping on the tag

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When they say mini how tall is that? Mine get about 2-3' tall and they spread pretty easily. They are easy to tear out in most places but when they grow under large rocks that aren't easy to move or can't be moved you will never get rid of them without constant pulling them out. They are neat though. I pulled out a wheel barrow full last year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine are in the pond w/ the roots shoved in between the rocks. They get about 3' tall.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
says 18 inches but you never know until you have them in the pond growing .I guess I will find out next year .I went to the new pond store that opened in NC today and they had great prices on them 2 dollars a plant and if you bought more than any 3 plants you got 2 free and they were giving out lots of other stuff .Like samples of fish food and a plant basket for your pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I think I will plant them in a 5 gallon container and put them in the pond. I also think the papyrus (sp?) plant is a cool looking plant. Anyone have any? Maybe I will put some of them on my one shelf in the pond. Thanks for all of your advice. It's nice to know that you guys are all out there willing to share!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they have mini papyrus and full size .I was looking at them at florida hill nursery on the net .Since you live in Florida where this place is based it may be good for you cheap too

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Egyptian papyrus can reach 12' or more, which is a little overpowering for most garden ponds. A newer cultivar, sold as "Little King Tut", stays around 3' or a bit more, and makes a stunning display when planted in a group of 3 to 5 plants. They can also be grown in the garden or a large planter if you water them regularly and treat them as annuals. John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Those roots are really something; they are roughly the consistency of spruce 2x4s. Tried to cut them with a serrated knife...NO WAY!!! It takes a saw to trim those! John

Ask a Question