My first pond design

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
First off just wanted to say hello to everyone and look forward to all the advice people can offer.

So as you can guess this will be my first pond but iv been into aquariums for over 7 years so iv got some knowledge.

My idea for the pond is to dig about 2.5ft into the ground and then having 2.5ft raised then the sides will be around 1.5m long with a flat corner (hope that makes sense), Adding shelves at 1 and 2ft, the pond will be in the corner of the garden which will get sun light all day.

My filter plan is to have a bottom drain feed to the bottom of the mechanical filter which will be brushes first then 3 stage sponge filter media this will drain to a sump then be pumped from there to a UV system then finally to a 3 tier bakki filter using pumice stone for biological filtration then return to the pond.

So that's my idea if you have any advice or any suggestions that would be fantastic

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF! You lost me when you went from feet to meters there, but maybe you can do the math - how many gallons are we talking about? If you hope to keep koi, your pond needs to be in the thousands of gallons - 1000 for the first one and at least 500 gallons for every additional, as an example.

In any case, my advice is to skip the bottom filter, brushes, UV, bakki whatsit, pumice, 3 stage whatever whatever and add a bog filter to your plan. You're WAAAAAY overthinking the whole set up in my opinion. You're building a garden pond, not an outdoor aquarium. UNLESS you plan for this to be a dedicated koi pond (which I doubt, since you mentioned shelves which means plants which means garden pond) then there's no need for such an elaborate filter system. Keep it simple, build a pond that takes care of itself, and enjoy your life pond life more!

It's really common to see people come to ponding with "experience" from aquarium keeping and try to translate the practices they learned indoors to the outdoors. They only thing the two really have in common is water and fish. Beyond that, it's a whole new experience. Much of what you are accustomed to doing for your tanks Mother Nature will take care of for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I to came from the aquarium world after decades of salf reefs and planted tanks. I now run a large matrix bog and a small peastone bog. The water is always crystal clear as you could pick out a penny on the floor of a six foot deep rocked pond. The only additive equipment I have though about adding is ozone

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I have a pond only filtered with a bog, pea gravel and plants. The only maintenance I do is pulling extra plant growth. The bog and pond have been running 10 years plus, no water issues, no cleaning filters, no green water, no string algae. My ponds are full sun, from sunrise to sunset.

Like @Lisak1 said above think simple and you will be a lot happier. Remove all that filtration stuff and add a plant bog. Let it waterfall back into the pond, plant pretty flowering plants, a nice self watered plant garden. Sit back and enjoy your pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Agree with above comments. If you are looking for a peaceful garden pond, I agree that you are way over thinking. Your set-up sounds more like the DKP (dedicated koi pond). There’s nothing wrong with that type of pond, it’s just a different mind-set. If you are going for >4 ft deep, be sure the overall surface area is equally large. I’m not sure what the “1.5 m” long part is referring to....length or width of the pond? Your equipment is going to take up a lot of real estate, as well. There is another forum called KOIPHEN.COM (not affiliated with this forum) where you might find more information on the equipment and set-up that it sounds like you are talking about. Otherwise, those of us here tend to go the natural route, letting “Mother Nature” filter our ponds with a bog or wetlands filter, as was mentioned above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the advice its fantastic, I don't know much about bog filtration iv definitely got a lot research to do it will be a few koi and goldfish.

I guess your right in the fact I could be over thinking things I'm going by what iv see and read on the web

When I say 1.5m long that's both width and length so it will be a square with one flat corner at the front, I'm hoping for bigger than 1.5m tho just depends if I'm aloud lol.

Could someone point me to some articles on bog filtration please

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just put "bog" in the search and you'll find lots of information here. @addy1 has a pinned post that has great information and details on how to build an all-gravel bog. Some of us use Aqua-blox in our bogs; others DIY the whole set up. Read through what's here on the forum and then ask any questions you might have. I'd also suggest you search YouTube - lots of helpful videos that will show you how many ways there are to build a planted wetland filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree with what has been said.
It shouldn't be complicated. I think the more simple it is, the better. Let nature do the work for you.

I too filter exclusively with a bog. Theres no rinsing of filter pads. Just sit back and enjoy your pond.
I don't do much of any maintenance at all. Maybe tidying up here and there as far as the plants go. The water runs itself. The bog keeps it crystal clear.

Before I had the bog, I was running two pressure filters and UV light and my water was solid green. I got rid of all that and now the bog is my only filter. When I added the bog, my water turned from solid green to crystal clear in less than a week. It has stayed clear since.

Another benefit of the bog is that it's basically a hidden filter. After your bog plants have matured, the whole thing just looks like another garden. No eyesore filter boxes or barrels. Sure, you can build a barrier or grow hedges to hide your filter, but why? That's more work.

Ultimately it's up to you.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was just plugging your numbers into a “pond volume calculator,” and my math must be really off. I came up with about 300 US gallons. We do not advise koi at all for this low volume. As stated above, you need at least 1000 US gallons for 1 koi, then add 250-500 US gallons per each additional koi. I would recommend goldfish, or something else small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I echo everything that's been said. Unless you like regular maintenance, overspending on equipment, like tinkering with systems or hate plants, go the bog filter route. The bog ambassadors have spoken for a reason and have the experience to back up their claims. I'm still waiting for my card, @addy1 !:p

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just read @Mmathis reply- even if you did away with the shelves, your pond would still be under 1000 gallons. I have had koi for over 25 years, they get big and require a lot of filtration. Look around at the different varieties of gold fish. There are some real beauties.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1617297504791.gif
@Jmh474
Check out Shubunkin goldfish for your pond.

Shubunkin's.jpg

Ask a Question