My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Pond is looking great. Look at all that room those fishies have! Will be fun to watch your progress as you work on other areas of finishing the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Tbendl. Right now it's just a hole in the ground with a liner and fish but I think it has potential! My wife was sure my fish would die with everything happening so fast but I think it really helped to start the new pump and filter up in my old pond for a few weeks to get the filter media seasoned with bb. Also by the time I removed it from the old pond and started it up again was less than an hour.
Addy. That was good advice. I sent an e-mail to livingartworkcollective asking for a picture and the owner called me. He is actually going to send me a video and is willing to hand pick the fish instead of just netting a bunch. Also i mentioned I gave him some good pr on GPF and he was appreciative and knew about it and had actually been a member of it for a while and I think he is going to make sure I'm really happy with the order. See being a member of GPF helps! I added 5 long tail comets to my order and he is giving me a good deal for both and shipping them all together. I'm getting the fish Tuesday and will take some pictures. This will more than make up for the 10 or so fish I left behind and is pretty exciting to buy new fish as I haven't done that in a while.
Riftlake it's a hat palm tree. It's typical of the everglades and is tropical but somehow it has survived in the midwest!
Thanks JW. I'm looking forward to getting some more long tailed fish and I also really like red comets so I'm looking forward to getting these fish too especially if they have long tails. My pond has been going a couple weeks so I think it's safe to add a few more.
Thanks CE. I have looked around and haven't found quite what I wanted. Being the end of the season there are not that many choices for plants or fish around here. I'm hoping this will work out.
Thanks Haver. I'll have all winter to plan the rest out so hopefully things will turn out well. I met a few of my new neighbors and so far everyone likes the pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, Comet, that's awesome news, the guy is going to hand pick your fish for you! I love that PR work he is doing already! When I bought fish on Ebay, I bought specific fish, one at a time, so knowing he will hand pick them for you is awesome. Yes, I didn't even think that local places won't have any new fish in at this time of year, at least not what you are wanting. I've never seen anything that I liked in the way of koi at any of the big pet stores, but my local store sometimes gets some pretty ones. Usually, they buy the cheapest, which are the culls (IMO anyhow) that really are blah! If I'm going to pay that kind of money for a koi, I want it to be pretty! That's why I went with Ebay. I got my fish in December 4 years ago, and they stayed in my basement in a kiddie pool that I had set up for them. One fish jumped out ... twice!!! ... but I found it soon enough to get it back into the water both times, and it survived. It was so much fun to feed them all winter long. :)
Can't wait to watch your pond evolve over the coming months. It's great that you don't HAVE to do anything with it for a while, as your house gets finished, but if you feel the need to ponder and relax, you can go sit out there and enjoy the fish, and think about how you want to make it eventually. Wonderful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks CE but I think I am suffering from separation anxiety with my pond. It should all work out in the long run but I am living about 5 miles from it right now and have to make special trips to see it and the construction progress. My wife even had to feed the fish a few days last week because I was too busy at work to go there. Right now they are only getting fed once a day at the most because of where it's at. We have a decent size yard where we are living, but so far I don't have much desire to hang out there because there is no pond. Hmmm. That's funny about your jumping fish. I'm glad that all worked out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I got my fish today from livingartworkcollective. Overall I am very happy with them. I was hoping to get some long tailed comets and shubunkins with nice colors and that is exactly what I got. They were all active and appeared in good health. I had told the owner that I was considering adding a few Koi at some point and it looked like he slipped in a few bonus fish. They look really pretty so in they went in with the rest. I couldn't actually put then in the pond until night so the pictures are not that great. I'm looking forward to seeing them during the day. I put them in the pond and most of them acclimated very quickly and were moving
around nicely.
20160913_205139.jpg
20160913_203912.jpg
20160913_204016 (1).jpg
20160913_204938.jpg
20160913_210449.jpg
Thanks Livingartworkcollective!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw the new fish yesterday morning. It looks like they acclimated to the pond right away. I actually like the comets more than the shubunkins. The shubunkins have a lot of orange which is a little different. The largest comet is really beautiful and is all orange and has a long orange tail. Overall i'm happy because there are a few fish that are outstanding that I couldn't find locally but I could see it can be hard for some people when they can't pick out the exact fish they want. Fortunately I have enough fish that I'm not going to dwell on the color of one fish and it was pretty exciting to have a bunch of new fish with long tails. It looks like some of my small existing fish were giving the new fish a hard time. I can't believe I added two small Koi that came with the shipment. I had thought about adding Koi to the new pond and decided against it. It's easily large enough for Koi but I was going more towards having a lot of goldfish and super low maintenance. Hopefully they don't destroy my plants as they get bigger and everything works out. I guess I could always sell them if they create too big of a problem. One advantage is since we will be living on the 2nd and 3rd floor maybe I will like having a few bigger fish so I can see them!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hopefully they don't destroy my plants as they get bigger and everything works out. I guess I could always sell them if they create too big of a problem.

We have some good sized koi and lots of plants. The only thing they bother is the floating plants, so I just put them where they can't get at them. Gotta be smarter than your fish! Ha!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice to hear they are all doing just fine Keith. Which ones are the koi? You will have to point them out in a photo when you can get them to pose for you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
20160915_111438.jpg
I took these pictures this morning. All the new fish seem to be doing well. The koi are the small white and yellow ones in some of the pictures. JW if you look at 2 pictures down the yellow one is in the foreground and the white one is above it towards the top of the picture. JW actually if you look at the pictures from my first post about the new fish they show more clearly. They are the small white and yellow fish with rounded fins. Well tonight my wife and I decided to stop by the building. I was looking forward to it because it would be the first time I could feed them more than once a day since we moved two weeks ago. To my dismay the concrete people I use decided to clean out their equipment right next to the pond and left a bunch of sludge. To make matters worse they got some on the excess liner I have. I know the owner wasn't the one that did it but he should be more responsible. It was one of his crews that dug the pond for me so I know he wouldn't have done that but I really lost my cool. To make matters worse they had just cleaned all the old broken concrete today and then his crew that was doing work for a neighbor decided my empty lot was fine to dump their extra cement. Hopefully things will be better tomorrow but it pretty much was disappointing and not great to deal with.
20160915_111430.jpg
My wife says I care more about the pond than the building project we are doing. I'm sure she is right about that.
20160915_111443.jpg
20160915_111455.jpg
20160915_111457.jpg

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I see them Keith. Bet you'll have them eating out of your fingers someday soon.
Way uncool of the workers to allow that stuff to get near your fish and I'd be making those neighbors workers clean every bit of that cement off of your property too! Now sit and enjoy your fish for a bit and let them help you relax and get all that disappointing tension out of your system. Ponds are a very good treatment for what ails us and we who have and enjoy them are very lucky :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hear back from the company I bought the fish from. The gold Koi is a Yamabuki Ogon and metallic white Koi is a Platinum Ogon. They are both very pretty. They seem to get along with the other fish well. It will be interesting to watch them as they grow, but that's it for Koi. I don't want to have to large of a bio-load in the pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
20160916_181949.jpg
oh no. That was always a concern of mine. From what I understand their progeny would be sterile. Well I think there are so many hungry mouths now in the pond I probably don't have to worry about too many more babies. There must be close to 50 fish now with the recent additions. I think it might be okay to have two Koi. My pond is so much larger now than my last one. There is plenty of room for the fish to swim around. I have seen the same size pond with 10-15 nice size Koi so I think these two plus my goldfish will be fine. i was a little worried if I could see any fish from my third floor so if it works out with the Koi I think it answered my question! I think my next big issue wll be making sure all the sides are level nd finding some nice stone for the border. The cement guys cleaned up their mess so at least one issue solved. Here is a picture from yesterday.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My koi, bred with my shubunkin and koi. I've heard the off spring are sterile, but I ended up with a lot of them! They were olive colored with long flowing fins and tails, very hardy fish.

I currently have 4 koi and each year I pray I have no survivors from spawning...but each year, I do !

Ask a Question