My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here are a few pictures I took today. There is a lot of construction and debris in the area that will need to get moved. I met with one of my contractors and he quoted me $1200 to dig the hole by hand plus the cost to haul everything away so I think that will be much easier than me trying to do it myself or rent equipment to do it. Our mason needs to finish the back of our building and garage so I need to wait a week. Also it was suggested that we tear down the back porch now that is getting replaced so there is less debris flying around later. The whole area I took the picture of is about 28 ft across and 30 ft long. We will have a staircase that will invade the corner of it by about 6 ft so I am probably going to make that side of the pond close to the blue garage smaller and have a waterfall. The garage is about 28 ft wide to give some perspective. I'm thinking I may just dig the hole for now and then do the waterfall and other stuff later after the construction is over. I did some measurements and maybe 10x15 would be good and have it an irregular shape to make it more natural looking. It will basically go in the area where most of the green is now.
20160801_093422.jpg
20160801_093453.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, glad to see "before" pictures! Sounds like VERY soon we are going to see "after" pictures! Exciting! You have a LOT going on. Let someone else do the digging and so forth for you. Give them your plan, and let them do it. I'd say 11x15 will be more than 2,000-2,500 gallons if you go at least 3.5' deep. Deeper would be better, or maybe you already have that planned. Super excited for you and your wife, that you other house sold, but now the pressure is on to get the fish moved. Sounds like your other pond will remain in the yard, huh? Yes, I'd definitely get the pond dug, filled, cycled, and water moving and the fish moved, and then worry about other stuff. You can sit a pump in the bottom and just move the water around that way for now. Or, push it to the top and make a small fountain to give a splash and add oxygen as well.
My friend rented a small digger, and she had it 6 hours, ran it herself, (never ran one before, BTW!!!) and dug her pond and bog. her pond is I think 10x16 so about the size of yours. It cost her $300. Her hubby ran their lawn tractor with loader and moved the dirt around and spread it out. He left some piles for her waterfall, etc. We worked on it 3 Sundays in a row, and it's looking really nice now.
I like the idea of not round/square, rectangle, etc., but with some curves and more natural looking. Can't wait to see the plans and the digging beginning!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Colleen. We have a pretty big house and we have to clear it out and move by the 31st now. I'm fixing up the garage and we will store some things there. Also we found an apartment to rent for 6 months until our project is done. Hopefully it will be done much sooner than that. I told the buyers that the only thing I was worried about was the fish and they actually put in their attorney letter that the pond and fish can stay after the closing until I can move the fish but they aren't responsible for the health of the fish! I agree with your thoughts of basically just digging the hole for now. I'll probably buy way more liner than I need so I can extend it later if I want to and I can always add rocks, waterfalls etc next spring. Also thanks for the gallon prediction because my goal is in fact 2000-2500 gallons so that would be perfect. I think that many gallons for goldfish that will be great and fairly maintenance free. I love how pretty Koi are but I'm not willing to commit to that much work and I have always had goldfish so why change? I'm thinking of a 1 ft wide shelf around the pond that is about a foot down and then the rest dug down to 4 ft deep in the middle. If you have a design that is 11x16 that would be 2000-2500 gallons I would love to see it. I thought I would have a ton of time to think and plan the pond but things are going way too fast!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice of them to say they are willing to keep the fish for a bit.
I would have the guy dig it as big as you want, extend it later always is tough, messing with the settled pond and fish. Then do the finish touches later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. I think you might be right and I'll just order enough liner that I need for now. I think I will still get a little extra in case I want to do something nice on the edges like wrap it under rocks to give it a natural feel. I'm planning on putting the fish in and putting a mesh netting over it so not too many stray things fall in during construction like cigarette butts, nails, lumber etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Keith, I just did a quick calc and 10x15x4' deep (this is not taking into consideration a shelf on the edges, so would be a little bit less) would be 4500 gallons! If that same size was only 3' deep it would still be almost 3400 gallons. I say go deep, since you are up there in Chicago. And I also say go the full 10x15 if possible, because your fish are multiplying and will love you for it!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Cas. That's too funny. Aren't we all? Thanks CE. I'm going to make it teardrop shape so it will definitely be not quite that big but my goal is at least 2000 gallons. Well it going to be really interesting if I can swing everything. Our mason is finishing the garage now and will be done in a few days. I want to reroof it next week and demo all the wood in it and build new walls, drywall, and electric so we have a place for storage. Then I need to move the electric going to the back of the house, tear down the enclosed porch, and build new stairs inside so the guys don't have to use ladders. I just poured t h e basement two days ago and can start framing and stairs monday. Then of course plan and dig the pond, and install a liner and pump filter before the 24th when we go to Europe and packing and moving by the 30th and catching and moving my fish before the 31st. Also incredibly busy at work right now with a lot of ongoing construction projects including our own so things will be interesting. ...

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Wow I need to check in here more often!! Lol Keith have you thought of an aquarium for the fish, if even temporary until you can cycle the pond, even 55-125 or so, or even a stock tank like this http://www.farmandfleet.com/product...-round-poly-stock-tank-by-behlen-country.html
(In Wisconsin its fleet farm btw ).to keep the fish in until the pond is ready. Or a smaller one if you want. And I'd think you could resell it later on Craigslist to recoup 50-75% of the cost. Then you could toss in feeder goldfish from petco for the family & the 9 year old to enjoy. Anything not a shebunkin in my pic was one of those, so they will thrive. As for size, start out as big as you want so you don't have to redid later. I know you've done it once so I couldn't imagine doing it a second time. Looking good so far & enjoy Europe!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 138
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Herz, I've seen Keith's fish, and he would need at least 2 - 125 gallon aquariums to safely house his fish! LOL He has quite a few, and they are large, like 6-8" long many of them, with lots of smaller ones that he has raised. His fish love their environment, and grow well. But, agree, putting them in a well aerated aquarium could work, good idea!!!
Keith, you have so many things going on, not sure how you will get it all done, but having a time line is helping. I love reading about all your deadlines. As Addy said, don't sleep!!!! LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Nathan for the suggestions. I actually just ordered my pump and filter and should have it any day. I'm going to run it in my existing pond for about 10 days to get beneficial bacteria to grow on the filter media. Then I'll remove it and can have it running in my new pond 30 minutes after I take it out. It sounds like a no brainer but I think running it in my existing pond as long as possible will help cycle the new pond. Does this make sense?
Thanks CE. We actually just cancelled the big birthday trip to Paris and rescheduled it for next month. There is just too much going on. Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully everything works out!

Here are a few pics of the current pond and fish. It may seem a little crazy with all the plants but the lilies actually went so high they formed an umbrella over the pond and kept the water cool all summer despite the scorching heat we had this year.
20160814_180223.jpg
20160814_180219.jpg
20160814_130536.jpg
20160814_130524.jpg

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow, your plants look great. What did you do for you water lilies to grow so much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Cas. I really didn't do much. I dropped a few small lilies in plastic pots to the bottom of my pond a few years ago at the start of the winter. I left them there and they always sprouted pads. Now the lilies have a huge mass of roots at the bottom of my pond. So the roots are about 4-5 ft in diameter and about 1-2 ft deep. My pond is not overly filtered so they probably get a lot of nutrients. I do have a lot of moving water and I think this helps plants in general. Also the pond is in about half sun because it's right next to our garage. I keep removing perimeter pads because otherwise it would take over the whole pond!

Ask a Question