Country
United States
I use my phone too but I don't get clear pics like you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well I knew a few fish weren't fairing well with the sudden cold snap. I had to remove one of the newer shubunkins from the pond today. I hope that's the end of any problems. I took out a bunch of anacharis because I think it was just taking up room. I still have my waterfalls working but I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to have some air bubbles going too. I think the more air the better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well I knew a few fish weren't fairing well with the sudden cold snap. I had to remove one of the newer shubunkins from the pond today. I hope that's the end of any problems. I took out a bunch of anacharis because I think it was just taking up room. I still have my waterfalls working but I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to have some air bubbles going too. I think the more air the better.

I'm sure you may have posted but have you shut anything down? Have a solar cover over the water? Do you know your water temps?

The outside air temps here have been dropping into the low 30s at night and we have frost on the ground nearly every morning but my water temps are at 63-65 degrees and the fish are super active. Honestly, as much of an eyesore as the cover is the fish seem to be loving it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't shut anything down yet because it's been a little busy for us on the weekends. Before that it was hot. Last week we went to Cincy to visit one daughter, Now we are going to DC for a birthday party for another daughter. I have to do it next week though because I'm going to I just ordered an aerator. I didn't go crazy and got a medium priced one because I didn't want it using too much electricity. I bought this one;
Airmax KoiAir Mini Water Garden Aeration
I should check the pond temperatures but having the last pond for 8 years makes you think you know everything... I'll have to go find my thermometer.
The cover is a great thing to do. When I go on the local pond tour most of the owners have covers. I even saw a 60,000 gallon pond they cover in the winter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yey, good to be home. We went to DC over the weekend to visit our daughter. The non stop flight from DC left on time as scheduled at 4:51 PM, but because of bad weather our plane didn't land in Chicago until 1:00 AM!! Never changed planes or seats and same pilots throughout! Total travel time between airports 9 hours!

On the bright side my new aerator is coming tomorrow. I can't wait to try it out. So far the fish I have seen in the pond all look okay despite the chill. It's going down to 22 degrees on Friday here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We went to DC over the weekend to visit our daughter.
lol next time here head out to Frederick!

Or even better, in the spring, go visit mrsclem on the eastern shore, she has beautiful koi she sales! You could take home a bag of koi!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
lol next time here head out to Frederick!

Or even better, in the spring, go visit mrsclem on the eastern shore, she has beautiful koi she sales! You could take home a bag of koi!
Haha. Thanks for the invite. I didn't want to invite myself! I'm not sure about getting a bag of Koi though but it would be fun to visit other folks on gpf too. I have been visited from time to time by ppl from GPF and it's always fun showing off my pond to other fanatics. This trip was very jam packed as it was our daughters birthday and she had other family and friends in, but I will keep the invite in mind next trips we take there. Keith

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Now that is only if I have had time to clean house, groom the yard, clean the pond, cut the grass.................
Sounds a lot like me!
smlaughing4.gif

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could you just see him going through airport security . SECURITY What you got there KEITH fish SECURITY really KEITH yep .SECURITY we do have snacks so you don't need to bring your own .KEITH they are for my pond at home SECURITY and you plan on holding them on your lap the whole plane ride .KEITH yep unless you want to hold them for awhile .I can see the plane finally taking off 4 hours late because they have no clue what to do and boy will they watch you closely when you go to the bathroom .They will want to check the bag each time .;):)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Could you just see him going through airport security . SECURITY What you got there KEITH fish SECURITY really KEITH yep .SECURITY we do have snacks so you don't need to bring your own .KEITH they are for my pond at home SECURITY and you plan on holding them on your lap the whole plane ride .KEITH yep unless you want to hold them for awhile .I can see the plane finally taking off 4 hours late because they have no clue what to do and boy will they watch you closely when you go to the bathroom .They will want to check the bag each time .;):)
That is so funny! I can't imagine trying to take a bag of Koi through security if they won't even let you take a water bottle! Well I got my Air max KoiAir mini aerator today. It was really easy to set up and sends out a ton of bubbles. I was kinda torn between this one and the KoiAir 1. That one has a second aerator on the same platform but some people were complaining about the fittings leaking on the reviews, and it was more expensive so I stayed with the mini. Both use the same air pump. I set the aerator platform on a shelf that is about 2 ft below the surface of the water. I didn't want to set it too deep as to disturb the warmer bubble of water that sit on the the bottom,and I also wanted it close enough to the surface to keep a hole in the ice. I still haven't decided whether I want to shut of the pumps for the winter. I'm taking out my pressurized filter this weekend. Unfortunately we were gone the last two weekends so I couldn't do it. Here are a few pics.
IMG_20171108_113107560.jpg
IMG_20171108_113057553.jpg

Ask a Question