My idea for a filter!

Reaction score
Here is my plans for the 100g aboveground pond i am going to get.

I am in south texas, So it's not going to freeze.

This is a in pond filter going to be made out of a rubbermade and I plan to put plants on top of it :icon_mrgreen: The biomedia is going to be lava rock and the spongefilter will be biomedia and cleaning the water from small debris.

I am going to be using a PENGUIN 1140 POWER HEAD (300gph) as the pump.

This pond is going to be under a gazebo, So there really is no way for leaves and other stuff to fall into the pond.

I will be stocking this with Wakin goldfish.

DIYFilter.jpg

How's it look?

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
This should work fine. The only potential issue is about the spongefilter (if I understand your diagram correctly). The spongefilter will clog relatively quickly, eventually lowering the draw through your pump. So you need to be able to remove and clean the spongefilter often. In this design, you will need to remove some or most of your lava rock to do that. Could get messy.

Reaction score
Good point! I may just forget the spongefilter cause digging out the filter once a week don't sound too fun lol:banghead3: But it should work fine without it.

Ask a Question