My koi (and goldfish) pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hey everybody! I just finished building (about 2 months ago) a 2,000 gallon koi and goldfish pond in my backyard. It took me 6 weeks and I had a great time doing it. I spent more than I thought I would lol. I have 2 tiny little baby koi and a baby shubunkin goldfish and 2 baby red comets. I also have really large shelves around the pond which are filled with plants (cattails, lizard tail, Thalia, scarlet hibiscus, taro, Mexican papyrus, dwarf papyrus, and a marble queen). My pond is 3.5 feet deep and I have a waterfall, aerator, skimmer, UV sterilizer, waterfall filter and 6 lights! There’s a resin hideout (looks like a log) that I put on the bottom of the pond. My fish love it (they didn’t tell me this but I assume they love it - they swim in and out of it all day). That’s all folks! I look forward to seeing everyone’s pond and joining the discussions. Cool!
Howdy from Oak Ridge - your pond is lovely!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! Watching my fish swim around at night is my favorite thing to do (they go crazy when the lights come on chasing each other all over the place). Do you have lights?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Hey everybody! I just finished building (about 2 months ago) a 2,000 gallon koi and goldfish pond in my backyard. It took me 6 weeks and I had a great time doing it. I spent more than I thought I would lol. I have 2 tiny little baby koi and a baby shubunkin goldfish and 2 baby red comets. I also have really large shelves around the pond which are filled with plants (cattails, lizard tail, Thalia, scarlet hibiscus, taro, Mexican papyrus, dwarf papyrus, and a marble queen). My pond is 3.5 feet deep and I have a waterfall, aerator, skimmer, UV sterilizer, waterfall filter and 6 lights! There’s a resin hideout (looks like a log) that I put on the bottom of the pond. My fish love it (they didn’t tell me this but I assume they love it - they swim in and out of it all day). That’s all folks! I look forward to seeing everyone’s pond and joining the discussions. Cool!
Love it! You’re smart to keep your plants at the margins. I think it’s every koi’s goal to destroy plants!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Beautiful pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Love it! You’re smart to keep your plants at the margins. I think it’s every koi’s goal to destroy plants!
I’m guessing these are short term goals? Lol. I have an idea to build another pond that’s only 1.5 feet deep and use it for plants only and connect the 2 ponds. The plant destroying koi will not not win hahaha.

Ask a Question