My Koi Are Flashing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And yet not one person on Koiphen asks for any details about the pond. I always find that amazing.
I always felt someone should be required to give basic information about their pond before seeking advice about their fish health. There are so many parameters that can change things for every particular pond! I can’t always analyze my own pond properly and I have been doing this more than 12 years!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have a two year old koi that's only 8 inches long?
i have a koi thats three years old and i know that for a fact as it was a born i the pond thats only 6"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
i have a koi thats three years old and i know that for a fact as it was a born i the pond thats only 6"

Someone needs to get into the business of breeding koi that stay small. Best of both worlds for backyard ponds! We had a couple of koi that were 6 years old that never got over 12 or 14 inches long, but that's still big in a normal sized pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was thinking the same thing but that means another pond to have only the midgets in the pond to breed

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think a lot depends on what you feed and how often. When we were raising koi to sell, we fed 4-5 times a day and growth food! Lots of 24-36" koi. Now no growth food and only feed a couple of times a week and most of mine are 18-22".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would tend to agree to an extent @mrsclem but when you have a pond full of giants and a few that are a good foot small, you have to imagine genetics is playing a role. I know there are Japanese breeders that breed for large size, so it seems small would be an option too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I WOULD LOVE A POND WITH N mothing but 12 inch butterflies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I WOULD LOVE A POND WITH N mothing but 12 inch butterflies
I think it's only the Jamacain version that get that big, GB; (homerus swallotail) and it only gets to 6". Not to mention, they don't swim that well.

Maybe stick with fish? :D :D :D

Ask a Question