My new house has a pond, need help..

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Grass carp look like big fat grey koi, can get over 40" and weigh over 60#. They are seldom used in small ponds. I do not have any nor want any. they are just a natural option for control. Some state owned lakes in our area introduced them to control hydrilla and anachris that was taking over the lakes. they got so big and did such a good job that they had to come back and remove some. can you imagine trying to spot a 60# carp in a several thousand acre lake?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh I think they used them in Smith Mountain lake to control the hydrilla and has worked great but have not heard about any other problems .They just did it last year .Do people eat carp .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Some carp are eaten, in fact Koi are eaten in some places. as far as grass carp I have never heard of them being eaten.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know a lot of people fish at Smith Mountain Lake and guessing maybe they are catching them and eating them .I have saw on the internet about people eating koi and have seen sushi ,but yuck raw fish .I guess being a vegetarian i don't know much about things like that .I guess people who eat at my house better look out . :razz: or bring meat or fish with them

Ask a Question