When you are buying a new house and all of the “signs” say,”This is the one!”

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
TurtleMommy is my name. Being committed to the health and wellbeing of my box turtles is my game.

We are closing on our new home 10/1!! But until we officially get that key, we are at the mercy of our real estate agent to get permission for us to have various contractors come by the new place to give us estimates on things like tree removal. BTW, the house is vacant. No, this hasn’t been an issue as everything is progressing on time....it’s mostly about the inconvenience factor for coordinating visits with the agent.

So, anyway, on with my story! Last week, while setting up an appointment, Hubby discovered that the current owners have.......wait for it!.....HAVE SOME BOX TURTLES IN A SECLUDED ENCLOSURE IN THE BACK YARD! Hubby made me promise to leave the turtles alone, as the owners will comet back for them. On our 2 most recent visits to the house, I took some banana to feed them (3-toed Eastern box turtles). THEY LOVED THE BANANA.

Soooo, gang. Do you think this is truly a sign that this house was meant for us?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
TurtleMommy is my name. Being committed to the health and wellbeing of my box turtles is my game.

We are closing on our new home 10/1!! But until we officially get that key, we are at the mercy of our real estate agent to get permission for us to have various contractors come by the new place to give us estimates on things like tree removal. BTW, the house is vacant. No, this hasn’t been an issue as everything is progressing on time....it’s mostly about the inconvenience factor for coordinating visits with the agent.

So, anyway, on with my story! Last week, while setting up an appointment, Hubby discovered that the current owners have.......wait for it!.....HAVE SOME BOX TURTLES IN A SECLUDED ENCLOSURE IN THE BACK YARD! Hubby made me promise to leave the turtles alone, as the owners will comet back for them. On our 2 most recent visits to the house, I took some banana to feed them (3-toed Eastern box turtles). THEY LOVED THE BANANA.

Soooo, gang. Do you think this is truly a sign that this house was meant for us?

Yes. It's a very good sign if you want it to be. Re being at the mercy.... Since the trees are outside and the house is vacant...... can't you just ask contractors to stop by and look at them without an appointment? p.s . I am a RE broker and general contractor so I have a little experience with this stuff!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, most definitely a sign! You should leave the sellers a note saying you would be happy to continue providing a loving home for the turtles. You never know.
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think turtles or not you feel it when you find the right house! This seems to be it for you so congrats and good luck! :)
I agree with @Stephen Noble perhaps the turtles are still there cause they haven't found a place for them yet , I'd offer to keep them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Definitely, maybe you could leave a note in with the turtles asking if they plan to keep or rehome them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Absolutely it is a sign
upload_2018-9-24_8-40-54.gif

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes. It's a very good sign if you want it to be. Re being at the mercy.... Since the trees are outside and the house is vacant...... can't you just ask contractors to stop by and look at them without an appointment? p.s . I am a RE broker and general contractor so I have a little experience with this stuff!
We brought that up, but the realtor wants to know WHEN we’ll be there. As long as we’re not going inside, she doesn’t have to be physically present, though.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good one! Hubby and I have been singing it since we found out about the turtles. What do they say about “Great minds....”

Good cover, too, but this is the version Hubby and I remember. Hmmmm, since it was a “B” side.....wonder how many on GPF know what a “B side” is, LOL!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And to all who commented about the possibility of letting the turtles stay...... There are many reasons against that, but won’t go into detail. Let’s just leave it at this: we already have 7. According to LA Wildlife and Fisheries, in order for a resident to keep native turtles, there is a “limit” (ha ha, considering the song!) of 4 box turtles allowed per resident — and you have to be in possession of a LA fishing license even to keep them as “pets.” My babies were hatched by me (also illegal....) when I had 2 captive boxies over 10 years ago. Basically, my 7 have never been wild, never been exposed to “outside” factors. This puts them at risk of disease if I brought in any wild guys. So, I’m OK with letting the owners reclaim them. Hubby has forbidden me from mentioning anything about environmental concerns or inadequate housing when we meet the owners at closing. It’s not good to take wild species from the wild!

Apologize for my environmental rant, but I’ve turned into a wild turtle advocate over the years!

Ask a Question