My new house has a koi pond.

Reaction score
Hello, I am in escrow in a beautiful home in Maryland and it happens to come with a koi pond. What a blessing! I never dreamed I would have a koi pond. I have been reading this forum and find myself overwhelmed at the scientific complexity of it all. I am not sure how big the pond is but it has a waterfall and 2 pretty big kois.
I am not in the house yet. We close in 2 weeks. The house will be empty for about 2 weeks while some work is being done in the interior. I am terrified the fish will die in this transition time. I am wondering if I have to drive over there to feed them everyday. :yikesu:. It's also very hot.
When I do get into the house and can take a photo I will gladly post a pic of my pond and my fish. Thankfully it does come with a net over it so hopefully I won't have to worry about predators but if I kill those big koi fish I will be very upset!!
Anyway, I am so glad this forum exists! I have seen so many amazing photos here! :). I will gladly take any advice. Thank you.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
2 unplanned kois

Nice to have you here.
Well I'm no koi expert but I don't think you have to drive over there every day. Is there a neighbor that might help you feed them? They do like to eat vegetation. Maybe you could put some plants in there that they like to eat. Someone here will help you better w/ this. Hey I have an idea...........addy (a member here) lives in Maryland too, maybe she can feed them for you.............just kidding addy :)

Reaction score
Thanks j.w. I will look into some plants. I found a very nice pet store that has koi and is heavy in the aquaruim section. I don't suppose I could leave some lettuce in there by chance? I think my pond is cement. Do I just drop a plant in there? :) See, I am clueless.
I love Goldens too! We have one and plan on getting another when we get settled. My Golden hates water so luckily I do not have to worry about him jumping into the pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I know they like to eat grapes, watermelon, cooked peas, etc. and there was a thread here where peeps were talking about what they will eat but I wouldn't just throw in a bunch of fruit etc cuz what they didn't eat right away would rot. That's why I suggest the living plants as they won't rot. Whatever they don't eat would just grow. Maybe you can do a search here on food for Koi. I'm sure very soon tho somebody will tell you more. I only have the goldfish and they like fruit too :)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Whenever I toss fruit or veggies into my ponds, I first drop in a few pieces and observe the Koi. Sometimes the big ones take it and spit it back out near the bottom. Remember that if they don't eat this stuff, it rots in the bottom. So, always be carefull when feeding stuff other than their normal food.
Mine love steamed rice and wheat bread as a snack.

Reaction score
j.w said:
I know they like to eat grapes, watermelon, cooked peas, etc.

If they are not used to it, I wouldnt bet on it. Ive read a lot of things that people feed their koi here and elsewhere, and I tried most of them with no success (yet). They dont even touch the lettuce I threw in, let alone the oranges or watermelon. Im sure you can learn them to eat those things, but it doesnt seem to come natural for my Kois. Except shrimp, that seems to require no training lol.

Anyway, to answer the OP; I guess much depends how big the pond is. In a large pond with many plants, those koi will be able to support themselves, if needed, indefinitely. I had some koi for 15 years that were never fed, ever, and some of them were (and one still is) 25-30 inches. In a smaller pond and especially a very clean one with little natural resources (plants, worms etc), its probably a good idea to drop by now and then to feed them, especially if they are used to it.

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for this information. I had no idea koi might like fruit, or wheat! I guess I better be living in the home and be there if I feed them any questionable food.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is the electricity running? They need filtration etc. I would assume so but you never know.

Jw maryland is not big, but can be a drive lol, if that house is close of course I would help!

welcome670.jpg

Reaction score
Hi addy1 I see you live in Fredrick. This house is in Columbia. A bit of a drive!

I think the seller keeps the waterfall on all the time. It's been on every time I have been there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe they live close to you. Can't tell cuz no city is posted in their specs. Would be cool if they lived down the road from you. Hey where do you live 2 unplanned kois? Don't worry we're not dangerous :rolleyes:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
awwwww just a half hour drive, not that far lol. We are out in the sticks east side of frederick.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Are you saying that they only live 1/2 hour from you? I missed something somehow I guess :rolleyes:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok I went back and checked previous posts and discovered my error..............guess I do need new glasses :rolleyes:
I used to have a part golden retriever and I love them :eek:

Ask a Question