My new oasis!

Building my summer oasis
Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you add anything to the clay? We have a 60' x 30' x 6' deep pond - after years of losing water and last year when it went completely dry we ended up lining it. We put the liner in last fall and now getting to the landscaping. We've noticed that we have lost zero water with the liner and realize it was losing ground water all this time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sue,

good morning. I tried to compact it with a sheepsfoot roller. I ended up hanging it up in the pond! I think it helped a little if I could have finished I believe it would have done the job. I also dropped some bentonite clay in it along the shoreline as I add water. I Have also purchased 3 buckets of a product called damit from Shalex Industries. It’s a polymer based sealer. It is dropping about 2 inches a week right now. So I’m not sure how it’s going to turn out. I may have to line it if it doesn’t seal. I’m still hauling in about another 20,000 gallons. Then I’m going to watch it through summer and fall. If it doesn’t hold I will line mine. Just trying to avoid that $5k tag on a liner. Fingers crossed!! Thanks for asking! Have a great day

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you add anything to the clay? We have a 60' x 30' x 6' deep pond - after years of losing water and last year when it went completely dry we ended up lining it. We put the liner in last fall and now getting to the landscaping. We've noticed that we have lost zero water with the liner and realize it was losing ground water all this time.
You could have mixed bentonite into the soil to help earthen ponds retain the water you spread it over the soil and mix it in with a root tiller I believe 12 inches is optimum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sue,

good morning. I tried to compact it with a sheepsfoot roller. I ended up hanging it up in the pond! I think it helped a little if I could have finished I believe it would have done the job. I also dropped some bentonite clay in it along the shoreline as I add water. I Have also purchased 3 buckets of a product called damit from Shalex Industries. It’s a polymer based sealer. It is dropping about 2 inches a week right now. So I’m not sure how it’s going to turn out. I may have to line it if it doesn’t seal. I’m still hauling in about another 20,000 gallons. Then I’m going to watch it through summer and fall. If it doesn’t hold I will line mine. Just trying to avoid that $5k tag on a liner. Fingers crossed!! Thanks for asking! Have a great day
Hi,
All of that should help retain water. We didn't do any of that during construction 11 years ago. For a long time we blamed it on evaporation but last summer was the last straw. We went with BTL Liners it was about $3500 for the liner and underlayment it weighs much less than the EPDM rubber. Now we have to redo the landscaping but have hired a crew for most of it. We love our pond and are looking forward to the new look it will have. Will try to get some photos up.

Ask a Question