My New One Eye's

Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier pond I recently adopted two koi that only have one eye each.

They have not joined the group yet. They hide most of the day. I have that bit semi netted, but its still not safe for them.

I feel so bad for them. It seems the ponds large surface area is possibly intimidating them. I guess they are adjusting to life with one eye and also a big pond at the same time. Poor babies. Wish I could communicate to them that I am safe.

One of them has a pretty big head but skinny body, poor guy. Neither comes out to eat, I guess they are munching on the algae and whatever else they find. I wonder if the big head indicates a big fish at some point when he starts eating.

My other new fish the white and black butterfly is doing great. He's out and about more hanging out with a smaller goldfish in the pond. I will be moving two other smaller goldfish to the pond today.

That's the update.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a totally blind fish, it actually did fine until the darn heron got it. Beautiful long finned orange one. I was walking out into the backyard and saw the fish in the herons bill. That was back when I did not know I had herons hanging around.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've heard an overly large head indicates an underfed fish. So maybe your one eyed fish have had trouble getting enough to eat. I think they will adjust in time - they're pretty adaptable creatures. Good for you for giving them a chance!

Reaction score
I've heard an overly large head indicates an underfed fish. So maybe your one eyed fish have had trouble getting enough to eat. I think they will adjust in time - they're pretty adaptable creatures. Good for you for giving them a chance!

That's what it looks like. He doesn't have a great body shape, its quite odd in fact (his head slopes weird down his body). So I think he had been in the tank at the pet store for a long time (I don't think they feed them well). I'm sure that my pet store buys the bottom of the barrel for the koi stock.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your fish with the big looking head may have what they call skinny disease (bacterial infection) if that is what it has he will need a medicated food. Something with erythromycin would help.

I havent found any of my one eyed fish to act ant different than the other fish. Of course mine have been kept in tanks and not in a pond.

Reaction score
Your fish with the big looking head may have what they call skinny disease (bacterial infection) if that is what it has he will need a medicated food. Something with erythromycin would help.

I havent found any of my one eyed fish to act ant different than the other fish. Of course mine have been kept in tanks and not in a pond.

YIKES! I just looked it up, I'm going to keep that in mind, but right now I think he has been in a under fed tank at the pet store for a while and since I have not seen him eating, I'll just guess he is a bit thin. Its nothing ridiculous looking but I notice it because I spend too much looking at my babies. LOL!

There's always an adjustment period in the pond when I add fish previously kept in a tank, maybe its overwhelming for them, seeing new things, open space, sun light .... ? Who knows.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like a plan :) Just don't let him go too long without eating.

In my experience a fish that isn't eating is a fish that isn't well.

And yes even with moving a fish to a different tank you will sometimes see them acting a bit off but it doesn't last long.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think those one eyed fish will come around soon to eating and relaxing more day by day. So nice of you to save them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Priscilla your breaking all the rules with this fish , you dont even know if the shops excuse for a missing eye is the right one , personally I cant see it myself .
Be aware however of the need to QT this koi for 8 weeks prior to it going into the pond .
Be also aware this koi is handicapped in it cannot see out of one side , so it may be easy pickings for preditors to get this fish

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swanstud

Latest Threads