My pond is full of tiny worms.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I started a pond in Autumn last year and it is still not completed I filled it up and waited 2-3 months before adding fish, I now have 11 fish and they seemed to be getting along well but in the last couple of weeks have noticed millions of tiny worm like patterns all over everything, the fish stay under cover and are flashing
I have taken a sample under microscope and they look a bit like Chironomid larvae. The pond looks a mess as everything looks dirty. What do I do? Will it be bad for the fish as they don't appear to be eating anything. any help will be appreciated.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621893084406.gif
and welcome @JohnWorthy
I tend to just let things go naturally. If they are worms/bugs I would think the fish will eat them eventually.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I started a pond in Autumn last year and it is still not completed I filled it up and waited 2-3 months before adding fish, I now have 11 fish and they seemed to be getting along well but in the last couple of weeks have noticed millions of tiny worm like patterns all over everything, the fish stay under cover and are flashing
I have taken a sample under microscope and they look a bit like Chironomid larvae. The pond looks a mess as everything looks dirty. What do I do? Will it be bad for the fish as they don't appear to be eating anything. any help will be appreciated.

Is it possible your fish are busy all day stuffing themself silly eating the larvae and that's the reason they don't want to also eat whatever you are trying to feed them with?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's still quite cold here in the UK but I don't know if this is the reason that I do not see the fish all day, they haven’t had any food for three days so if they are eating it must be insects. They must all be hiding together as there are not many places that I could not see them.
These worms l are literally everywhere I will try to upload pics.

Attachments

• P1010603.JPG
    P1010603.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 53
  • P1010604.JPG
    P1010604.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @JohnWorthy !

Sooooooo many questions! How big is the pond? Eleven fish - what kind? How big? What type of filtration are you using? Are there plants in the pond?

The wormlike patterns on the liner wouldn't concern me (looks like black fly larvae that I get in my pond in spring) nor would the fish staying out of sight, but the flashing behavior would be of concern.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pond is 600 Gals, Koi & Goldfish, one Koi about 8" five Koi about 5" goldfish 4-5" Kockney Koi with inline Vortex and three compartments, also small pressure filter with UV. Plants not establish as yet. The flashing concerns me but they are not showing themselves much so I can’t see how bad it is. If the sun would come out they may be more visible.

Ask a Question