My wheels are turning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Somebody jump in and stop me! I have no money. I'm getting ready to send our first to college, so I have no money times infinity! LOL

I have been sitting by the pond and thinking about a little expansion. A little more water space for the fishies...

Now -- even aside from the no money thing, I don't think my old body is up for a major digging project. My wallet could not handle more filtration and electrical and plumbing type stuff. Honestly, my little pond fits the yard very well and as time goes on, I don't need more to maintain.

So I've slowed the wheels down a bit but they are still turning. Here is what I'm thinking. I have two really big planters in the pond, filled with kitty litter and housing lotus bulbs that don't seem very happy this year. The lotus in the pond with still water are thriving. So. If I were to take out and re-situate the lotus, that would actually open up some watery real estate for the fish. Not a ton, but it would be an improvement.

Then I would get to have a little crafty project in planting my lotus in container water gardens. I'm going out to take a couple of pictures to add...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
pond 1.jpg pond 2.jpg pond 3.jpg So here are the pictures. Views from different points. The last horizontal one shows the two large planters with dud lotus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
For contrast, here is the happy lotus in the still pool.

Attachments

• lotus 1.jpg
    lotus 1.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 271
  • lotus 2.jpg
    lotus 2.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 270
  • lotus 3.jpg
    lotus 3.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Now three shots of the yard. The trick would be finding good sunny spots still close enough for us to enjoy from the sitting area, porch, and house. We have quite a bit of shade.yard 1.jpgyard 2.jpgyard 3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Moving those lotus out of the pond would definitely give the fish more room. The area to the right of the hydrangia seems to be open. Any chance of putting the lotus there? Seems to get sun.
It does get some sun but unfortunately that is the path/access to the sitting area and only path to get back around the house. We'd have to lotus hop if I put it there! :)
But I did come up with a possible solution -- it will require more pictures, though! It's in an area I didn't photograph.
I went outside and got crazy - stepped right in and moved the big shallow pan (closest to the edge and to the surface) completely out of the pond -- awaiting a new location now.
I took the planter that was closer to the middle of the pond and down on a deep shelf - and raised it up where the other pot was. This planter has the beautiful pink lotus in it. I thought before I took it out entirely, I'd see if a change of location/depth made it happier.
I made a huge mess of the water and all the fish thought it was the best thing ever!
@ShawnInfirmity - thank you!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What a nice looking pond you have!
Having said that, if you are like me, it won't matter how many different things you can come up with to give more room to your fish, eventually you will still end up wanting to have a larger pond! Been there twice and that's before deciding to start digging a brand new one!
smlaughing2.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This planter has the beautiful pink lotus in it. I thought before I took it out entirely, I'd see if a change of location/depth made it happier.
I never had Lotus, are they easy to grow like water Lily?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Yes! I think they like regular fertilizer and sun. And you have to handle the bulbs very carefully. Once planted, I think they are easy -- provided they like where they are. Only other thing is that you cannot cut off stems below the water line! Water will flood into the hollow stem and rot the bulb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
What a nice looking pond you have!
Having said that, if you are like me, it won't matter how many different things you can come up with to give more room to your fish, eventually you will still end up wanting to have a larger pond! Been there twice and that's before deciding to start digging a brand new one!View attachment 112735
Thank you!!!!! If it weren't for the money part, believe me, I'd be digging!
:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I love the idea! I don't think it's the fact that the water is still - I bet it's that the water gets warmer faster in the separate pool. Our lotuses in the pond are doing nothing so far this year. The ones outside of the pond are starting to send up blossoms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I love the idea! I don't think it's the fact that the water is still - I bet it's that the water gets warmer faster in the separate pool. Our lotuses in the pond are doing nothing so far this year. The ones outside of the pond are starting to send up blossoms.
It could be that. The water still feels pretty cool and comfortable. But down here in the south, it has been really warm for quite a long time. Maybe moving the pink one up to a shallower shelf will let more sun get to it. I hope so! I did find a big plastic planter (50% off, YAY) and I'll replant my other lotus in it as an experiment. It is really big. I think I might try to catch a small goldfish or two and see if they would like to spend the summer there! (In established pond water, of course, and with good shade plants and insulation -- so they won't boil!)

Ask a Question