addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of mine are just overlapped, some I used adhesive, it depended on how much slope I had for water to work it way back up and out.

Reaction score
OK, you math geniuses. Is there a formula to determine how many gallons a certain size hole would contain? For instance if I dig my basin 6' x 4' x 30", how many gallons am I looking at?

Doug

Reaction score
My plan is instead of having a waterfall weir, dig a small basin around 20-30 gallons and digging the stream bed down about 12-18" running into the basin (filled with rocks) then on down the slope. Lining it all with one piece of liner before it empties into the catch basin to be pumped back up. I don't really want a "waterfall" at the top of the stream and by doing it this way it will look more like a spring coming out of the ground. Does this make sense and is it good idea???? Crude drawing attached and a picture or two of the general shape. I plan to start the digging on Saturday, August 18th.

Doug

Attachments

• 1-stream drawing.jpg
    1-stream drawing.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_4216.JPG
    IMG_4216.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_4218.JPG
    IMG_4218.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 345

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will look really neat! Love the spring idea.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I know you did and I've been ignoring your offer! :razz: Your on the right track, when do you think you will start the dig?

Reaction score
Addy, I believe that was already tried when I first joined the GPF forums!!! Tmann, I have a mini backhoe reserved for next Saturday the 18th. It is $165 for about 9 hours of rental. Didn't think that was too bad.

Doug

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat! I love my backhoe, without it there is no way I could have dug our pond and stream. Took me more than one day though.
I use it now to pre-dig the holes for plants, move mulch, get rid of trimmings. I take bucket loads to the edge of our woods(another acre of woods past that drop off is ours, not dumping into a neighbor lol) , a nice cliff, the trimmings make a nice dead fall for critters. oh and remove snow, if we have any

We leave the woods wild for the critters to enjoy.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
there is one similar to what your saying on you tube and remember him saying that he misjudged the size of the top tank or something about the water running under the liner from the force of the pump .I just remember he reworked it and changed a few things and it worked after that .He had 4 or 5 video's .I just scan the pond stuff on there all the time to see new ideas

Ask a Question