Swimming Pool > Natural Pond questions

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by EscondidoCal, Feb 11, 2018.

1. EscondidoCal

EscondidoCal

We live in Escondido, Ca, inland & north of San Diego, and are just starting to convert our 15,000gal swimming pool into a natural pond.

I haven't put any liquid chlorine or shock in the pool in over a week, and
    there is no detectable chlorine now (using Leslie's kit).

pH = 6.5, total dissolved solids = ~3000ppm
    Our tap water is ~500 ppm.

Do I need to drain most of the water to get rid of the TDS before adding plants or fish?
    I'm not adding aeration or filtration, but hope the pond will balance naturally....adding
    plants first, then the fish.

I'm making a floating island for plants, and a habitat for a red slider turtle.
    Also want koi, goldfish, mosquito fish.

Except for some water lilies in pots on the steps into the pond, all plants will
    be floating on islands, or naturally e.g. water hyacinths.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

EscondidoCal, Feb 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. EscondidoCal

JamieB

I’d be cautious about using water that was chlorinated, no clue what all might still be in there. I don’t know enough to be a big help, but I can say I’d use a lot of pond water conditioner, just in case. The others will know more, I’m still a newbie all things considered. I converted my pool into a pond, but on well water, and it hadn’t been treated, and was just growing algae and misquitos for over a year. I will say, red eared sliders will try to nip fins, especially while young and needing the protein, so I wouldn’t add high dollar fish at first till you know how it’ll do with the others. What I saw of others who have turtles, they separated them, so it doesn’t get the fish. Not exactly practical with most basic pools, so wait to add your high dollar fish.

JamieB, Feb 12, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. EscondidoCal

adavisus

Try a sample of the water with a few snails, small fish tiddlers, in a bucket or tray, see if they survive, thrive...

adavisus, Feb 12, 2018
    CountryEscape likes this.
  4. EscondidoCal

Faebinder

Definitely drain the water......Forget the mosquito fish, they will nip at the goldfish/koi and multiply like crazy.

You're gonna need to add more than the usual amounts of the dechlorinator just incase of residue...

One fish a week to give the pond a chance to grow algae films to process ammonia. You're gonna need irises or cattails eventually IMO, once the fish multiply.

Faebinder, Feb 12, 2018
  5. EscondidoCal

EscondidoCal

Thanks for all the good info. We'll take it slow, and make sure plants & fish are safe.
    I didn't know the turtle nipped fish fins, or mosquito fish did, too....they're so small.

Hope to save a lot of $$ in chemicals & electricity for the pump.

EscondidoCal, Feb 12, 2018
  6. EscondidoCal

MitchM

Over time your pond will accumulate organic matter and atmospheric dust on the bottom and cause you nuisance algae issues unless you provide adequate water circulation and filtration.
    A pond this size is not a small undertaking.
    Addy has a successful similar size pond and a large bog filtration system that absorbs the nutrients that are released by decaying organic matter.
    I suggest reading through her thread and deciding if this is what you really want to do.
    https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/pond-in-progress-started-4-21-10.4302/

A TDS reading isn't much use for a pond, you need to measure the parameters found in an API test kit plus KH and GH.
    https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=670#.WoFg8GYZNhE
    https://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=587#.WoFhFWYZNYc

MitchM, Feb 12, 2018
  7. EscondidoCal

sissy sissy

You may want to check your laws.Some states and some counties in California ban certain outdoor fish varieties .

sissy, Feb 12, 2018
  8. EscondidoCal

EscondidoCal

Don't think koi, goldfish, & mosquito fish
    are against the law.
    Not putting in any parana. :eek:

EscondidoCal, Feb 12, 2018
  9. EscondidoCal

sissy sissy

Some areas of California ban goldfish and koi because of dumping them.Animal control or your city can tell you more

sissy, Feb 13, 2018
  10. EscondidoCal

EscondidoCal

Not dumping fish either. Really not concerned about it. ;)

EscondidoCal, Feb 13, 2018
  11. EscondidoCal

Faebinder

You'll eventually have algae issues IMO too, make a third of the pond a bog, and you'll never have to suffer green water.

Faebinder, Feb 13, 2018
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question