Making a more natural looking pond!

Reaction score
I have a small pond with six small fish and i was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can make it look more natural ask it look boring and uninteresting at the moment. I have quite a lot of liner showing around the sides and I think this is one of the biggest problems but I really don't know what to cover it with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Rocks !! We do love our rocks on this site. They do an excellent job of hiding the liner. And plants around the rocks. Or ground cover .

Reaction score
Maybe you could post some pictures and that would give us a better idea of what you are working with.

I know what you mean, I still have liner showing on my pond too. I am taking my time, using choice rocks and trailing plants. I don't want a bunch of stones piled up on the liner. I want a look of not really knowing where the edges of the pond start or end.

There is a product called Rock on a Roll, I plan to use some of that to help with my ponds edging.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have quite a lot of liner showing around the sides and I think this is one of the biggest problems but I really don't know what to cover it with.

I would love to see photos of your pond, it would help give me an idea of what you're working with.

I use flagstone (flat rocks) around my pond edge and I tuck the liner underneath it. here's a before and after.
DSCN1803.jpg

IMG_6632.jpg

If you mean you have liner sticking out of the water, fill it as high as the water can be without overflowing and where the liner is sticking out is where the ground needs to be lowered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here is my trusty sketch. Maybe this will give you some ideas. I honestly think what took the longest in our pond build was the edge after the liner and water are in.

PondLiner.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
fold the liner under itself,i never cut my liner in case i want to go bigger .When you have raised it is hard to make it look natural .Like mine I know will never look natural but don't care ii just want to look down on it from my covered front porch and enjoy the sounds when we eat out there or just sit and enjoy our coffee and view of the hillsides .Still working on the rebuild of it

Attachments

• rain storm 4-15 2014 002.JPG
    rain storm 4-15 2014 002.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 317
  • pond -rocks 2014 043.JPG
    pond -rocks 2014 043.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 419
  • pond -rocks 2014 041.JPG
    pond -rocks 2014 041.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 322
  • pond -rocks 2014 042.JPG
    pond -rocks 2014 042.JPG