NEBRASKA... The Good Life!

Reaction score
The only thing I know about Nebraska, the Cornhuskers.

Oh yes, the "Bugeaters"! Ahem, I mean the Cornhuskers.

There's a trivia question for you. The Nebraska Cornhuskers were once called... "The Bugeaters". From 1892 to 1900. They had several nicknames prior to that, but in 1900, a sportswriter began calling them the Cornhuskers and it stuck. Iowa had earlier referred to themselves occasionally as the Cornhuskers too, but adopted the Hawkeye name instead.

Gordy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to go tubing in arizona, had to wear a ton of sun screen, one time I got really really burnt. But it sure was fun. You had to be really careful if you got off the raft, ie fell off (a lot of drunks) got in the water to get cool, you had to watch the roots of trees under water. I did get trapped under some roots, the water flowed really fast, sometimes shallow, sometimes deep, luckily not drunk, can swim and worked my way back out.

People did drown in the river some every summer.

Reaction score
I used to go tubing in arizona, had to wear a ton of sun screen, one time I got really really burnt. But it sure was fun. You had to be really careful if you got off the raft, ie fell off (a lot of drunks) got in the water to get cool, you had to watch the roots of trees under water. I did get trapped under some roots, the water flowed really fast, sometimes shallow, sometimes deep, luckily not drunk, can swim and worked my way back out.

People did drown in the river some every summer.

Addy,

That is the most dangerous thing - to get entangled in roots or logs underwater and become pinned by the current to the point that you cannot get out. Very scary.

Fortunately most of our local rivers here are generally quite timid and the debris in the river is generally few. As long as you follow a few obvious and common sense rules, you really can't drown.

1] Know how to swim proficiently, better than Mark Spitz! You have to know how to swim in a river, not just a pool.
2] Know the river you are on during all conditions. You must be able to "read" the river channels and be able to determine what is shallow and what is deep. What is slow and what is fast.
3] Don't go out on the river when it is flooding unless it is an emergency and you are extremely fit and you are well prepared.
4] Don't dive down into log jams to noodle for catfish unless you are extremely fit, experienced and well trained and accompanied by many others who are the same.
5] If you are wading, always walk upstream, so that if you step into a hole, you can float right back out to shallow water.
6] Know your river, once you have waded it upstream and determined where the deep holes are, you can avoid them.
7] If you fall into a hole and the current takes you down river, don't panic. Just tread water or swim easy, the channel will shallow up eventually or you will be directed by the current to a shoreline or sandbar. Don't struggle, just enjoy the float.
8] If you drink, don't be drunk!
9] If you are on a boat, be an expert driver or oarsman! Don't get into a log jam or boulders, pay attention at all times to what is up ahead of you. Have lifevests on or right next to you just in case.
10] Don't be stupid and don't let anyone else around you be stupid.

My Dad told me a story about a fella he took fishing with him once. My Dad was on the river bank and the guy was wading in the river and stepped into a hole. The guy started thrashing and yelling like he was going to drown. My Dad just let him fidget that way for a moment or two and then when he got closer, my Dad just simply told him, "I'm not jumping in to save you, you'll have to save yourself! Stand up!" The guy donned a puzzled look, got quiet and then stood up. The water was only 4 feet deep! My Dad knew he was safe all the while, but the guy panicked. So you see the moral to the whole story.

When I was in HS, my friends and I would take weekly tubing trips down the Platte River in the summers. As a crow flys, the distance was about 14 miles, but as the river flows, it was probably closer to 35+ miles. It all depended upon how much water was flowing at the time. Our inner-tube trips would take 8 to 10 hours normally. These trips were such fun! We normally did not see another person or boat or any sign of civilization for the majority of the way. It was sandbars, islands covered with trees and snakegrass, 100 to 120 foot tall clay bluffs with glacial till rocks jagging out here and there and losts of trees and sun and wildlife.

Once, the water was so high and fast that it made a huge swell coming around a bend. The water dipped down four feet then came back up abruptly almost six feet and it launched you and your tube into the air (slightly). It was like a major waterpark ride, for free! We got out and hiked back up river several times just to enjoy it over and over again!

I LOVE the RIVER!

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
totally agree, i had a long time friend that would drown in 1 foot of water, she paniced so bad in water. I really don't recall why i ended up in the water, it was known to be dangerous. Luckily a long time swimmer, calm in water,i was able to work my way out.

Reaction score
In post #11, I stated that Nebraska had more rivers than any other state, 23,000 miles. I found this statement to be iterated on multiple internet sources. I was suspicious of that statement because I couldn’t see how states as vast as Alaska, Texas, California or Montana could have less river miles than Nebraska. So I set out on a fact-finding mission and learned several things which I now know discredits that claim. I have no idea why that particular “factoid” is out there all over the internet, but it is false and majorly false. Someone either made a really bad error or else they just spat that one out to see how far it would go.

The problem in derterminig this accurately is in how rivers and streams are classified. Is it perennial, intermittent or ephemeral, or is it a glaciated river bed? A perennial river has continuous flow in parts of its streambed all year round during normal precipitation patterns. Intermittent streams normally cease flowing for weeks or even months out of the year and ephemeral streams may only flow for a few hours or days after a rainfall. A glaciated river may not ever flow for hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands of years.

The top ten states judged by total riverbed miles in thousands (K) (flowing, dry or frozen) are:

Alaska 365K
California 212K
Texas 191K
Montana 177K
Nevada 144K
Kansas 134K
Idaho 116K
Oregon 115K
New Mexico 111K
Wyoming 109K
Nebraska comes in at #19 with 81,573 miles.

A more accurate assesment would be to judge by the number of miles of perennial rivers in the state. The top ten ranking states here are (omitting Alaska because the perennial river mileage information was not available):

California 64,438
Idaho 54,948
Tennessee 53,872
Montana 53,221
Oregon 51,695
Virginia 49,350
Alabama 47,072
New York 46,266
North Carolina 45,571
Nebraska comes in at #34 with 17,783 miles.

Of course, the most accurate method to judge this would be how many “perennial river miles” there are per square mile of land space.

The top ten states judged by miles of flowing water (all year long) per square mile of land area:

Tennessee with 1.278
Virginia with 1.216
Maryland with 1.181
Connecticut with 1.095
Maine with 0.972
New York with 0.942
New Hampshire with 0.930
Alabama with 0.910
Delaware with 0.878
West Virginia with 0.871
Nebraska comes in at #40 with 0.230 miles of perennial river per square mile of land area.

I'd have to judge that Tennessee, Virginia and Alabama, in that order, win the prize for the Gold, Silver and Bronze based upon the results overall.

I wanted to ensure I corrected that error so that I wasn't misleading anyone. I got bit by the "It must be true, I read it on the internet" bug. LOL I hope I added some interesting and accurate information to the subject.

Gordy

Reaction score
This is one of the natural wonders of Nebraska. It is a natural spring that comes up through the sand along the bank of the Dismal River. It is approximately 10M in Diameter and 44 Meter Deep. Constant water pressure pushes up through the sand making it impossible for you to sink. The water temperature is at least 15-20 degrees colder than the rest of the river and has a clear layer of spring water about 10" above liquid sand layer.

The Dismal River is aptly named. A trip down it will leave an experienced canoer drained. it is not exactly a white-water river, but it is fast and it is winding and full of deadfall trees around every bend.
That's cool, I'd like to check that out. Have you been there?

Reaction score
That's cool, I'd like to check that out. Have you been there?

Mucky,

No, I have never been to that particular spot, although my nephews have. I went canoeing on a different leg of the river and didn't even know about this spring until years later. It was only a year or two ago that I learned of it through my nephews.

It is pretty unreal, isn't it? that is water coming straight up from the Ogallala Aquifer right there! A major artesian well.

I really want to go back and put that area of the river on my canoe trip!

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go for it! Gordy, and take pictures for us

Reaction score
Go for it! Gordy, and take pictures for us

If I go, I will most certainly take pictures and videos to share with everyone. I got a new digital camera/video recorder as a gift from work for my 15th year of service anniversary. I am not certain how great it really is, but it ought to be much better than my cellphone camera. I am not expecting too much, but it sure as heck better outperform a cellphone.

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat, we just got pins for years of service. Made it to 34 years at the hospital, towards the end they didn't give anything for years of service, just thanks.................

Reaction score
Love all the photos...the horse tank floats are hilarious. I grew up in Elkhorn and have lived in Lincoln and Columbus. Miss Runzas, Husker FB, and summer...don't miss WINTER at all!!! LOL

Ask a Question