New but a quick learner

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
New but a quick learner - Near DC

My boyfriend and I just signed the paperwork on our new house. It comes with a nicely stocked pond that I am still awaiting the particulars on (how many gallons, filtration, just how many koi are there, etc).

Regardless, I am excited. I used to be the manager of a pet and pond supply store, so have some knowledge and plenty of reading in... but this will be the real test!

I would like to spice up the landscaping with some color, do some aquascaping, and perhaps add some spitters or fountains.

What this picture does not show are the waterfalls and the 6 ft deep holding tank that is on top of the embankment.

koipond.jpg

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
It was a real plus for ME!

The BF wants to redo the whole thing and make it bigger (it is at least a good 30 x 40 foot already!). I am trying to explain how nice an established pond that is balanced already is and that you should leave well enough alone! LOL

We do have 2 acres in back... perhaps I can tell him we need TWO ponds! Mwhahahaha! :12: (we need a devilish smiley!)

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Ok...

Talked to the landlord. It is almost 13,000 gallons. Or so he says. Granted that picture only shows the front "veiwing trough"... but is that really possible? That is a LOT of water!

He has a Viper UV we can install if we wish. Just how much electricity do they really use? He thought it was a Viper 400... but is pretty sure it has 2 bulbs... 400 has one, 800 has 2. Either way... is it worth installing and paying an electric bill for? Can it be on a seperate circuit and only used for a few days when the algae decideds to be in "bloom" and start taking over... or does it have to run continuously?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i use my u.v for a few days when the water greens.. turn it off, take it out of the system clean it and put it away till next year. where ill do the same.( I intentionally let the water green up before the fish come back outside)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I realy like the pond,,It looks great ,and i would think 13,000 is in reason.
I would run the uv when you need it.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
How do you hook it up temporarily?

Here is my newest list of "dang newbie" questions:

1) Just how difficult is that damn UV light going to be to instal? It looks pretty danged huge. It is a Viper model if that helps. Not sure if it is a 400 or 800. He said 400... but that it had 2 bulbs. http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalo...cludes-flow-auto-shut-off-switch-110120-volt/ (already answered this one for the most part!)

2) Should I get some barley straw extract as well anyway? Or at least until I get that puppy up and running? With or without Peat? https://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12266 As far as I know, the water is not green... YET. I will be going out on Wendesday or Thursday and can tell you more then.

3) I am ordering an invisible fence for the dogs from Drs Foster & Smith. They carry Koi Clay. Is it really worth the money? https://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10852

4) Crushed coral or oyster shell IS worth the money... right? https://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7322

5) Are these test strips any good? https://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5363

6) As I am getting a late start and I do not think they will winter over (There is NO room in the house for them and the greenhouse is not built yet)... are water hiacynth worth the money? How fast do they multiply? How many should I start with?

Are you sick of me yet? Grumble "damn newbies!" and get a cup o' joe and help me out here if you can!

I really do appreciate it!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am not sure of that uv...But it should have a in and an out ,not to hard i hope....leave it hooked up all the time and just turn the power on and off

Reaction score
WOW, I love it! I wish I had that much land to play around with. I used about a quarter of my backyard and it's only about 21 feet by 8 feet at the widest point. Next time I buy a house, I'm going to have to get more land!

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Ok... just got back!

The pond is MUCH improved! You can see a good 3 foot down. All tests came back absolutely perfect (I will get my notebook from the car and post them all as soon as I have need of going down then up 4 flights! LOL)

I did not unfortuniately get any pics of the koi...as my camera phone decided to get all wonky. Not to mention...the sun reflecting off the water along with the reflection of the embankment made it difficult to find a good angle in any case. BUT... I DID get these:

The full pond:
DSC00006-1.jpg

Where the water enters the system at top of embankment:
DSC00001-1.jpg

The biopond or whatever directly below the water entry. See the mounds of string algae?
DSC00002-1.jpg

One of the drop streams:
DSC00003-1.jpg

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Left hand waterfall (when facing main pond):
DSC00004-1.jpg

And the right hand waterfall:
DSC00005-1.jpg

The sand filter (it is about 3.5' in diameter) and electrical panel:
DSC00008-1.jpg

The skimmer is on the left hand side (deep end) of the main pond in front.It has 2 main drains.These are all adjustable as to percentage of pull to the sand filter. The UV unit has a transformer and can be installed at filter. Sam (owner of house) assures me that if I do not mind the electric bill... it will make the pond crystal clear right down to the 6+' bottom of the main pond. As a simple partial water change and backwash of the filter made 3 foot clear in just 4 days...I am inclined to believe him!

The snails are almost completely gone from the streambeds. Yippee!

One problem may have been that the previous tenants were silly enough to shut the system down all winter... and then put the danged filter on a timer as they did not like the sound of the waterfall at night! If this pond was not as well established, ballanced, and self sufficient as it is... I do not know how the fish would have done half so well as they did!

The sand filter does about 18,000 GPH and the pond is 13,000 gallons. Hence its ability to handle the overstocking quite well. Not to mention those drop streams (I will get better pics from the lowlands that show all the mini-falls once I cut some of the overgrowth back!) I still have no real count on the inhabitants. Anyone know how to make the buggers keep still for a head count? LOL I CAN say that these are some danged big, fat, healthy (though they could use some color enhancement) fish!

I am still planning on raking out all the string algae and getting some filtering plants for that top pond. It may have bags of lava rock in it for additional biological filtering, there was one lying on the bank next to it. All plants will be bought from reliable source and dipped prior to adding. I promise!

Now that I can see into the bottom of the shallow (3') end... there are two large tubs in there. Sam (owner) says that they used to have hardy lilies in them that came back every year. They certainly did not THIS year. May be due to system being off and freezing over, or neglect of previous tenants, or koi eating new growth as said tenants may not have fed them. As food is provided by Sam as part of rental agreement... that is just stupid. They also have kids, that I witnessed on our firt walk-through of house, that liked to beat the water with large sticks. If I were a fish... I would not come up for food either! I will take the advice not to add any lotus.

Koi seemed slightly cautious but curious of me when I sat on bank. Sam says his 15 year old daughter would lie there with her hand in water and koi would rub against it to be "petted" just a few years ago. I plan to spend long hours by pond reading pond and koi magazines until they will do so again! LOL

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful. I LOVE the varying foliage... great contrasting shapes and greens and GREAT falls... (do we have a 'jealous' smiley?)

You'd mentioned: "All plants will be bought from reliable source and dipped prior to adding. I promise!"

To rid the plants of what, exactly? Something I should beware of, even though I'm not planning to have fish? And dipped IN what? LOL! Water, right? Just a quick rinse?

Also:
"They also have kids, that I witnessed on our firt walk-through of house, that liked to beat the water with large sticks. If I were a fish... I would not come up for food either! I will take the advice not to add any lotus."

Grr! (to the kids) and not add Lotus why? Another fish reason? Or should I beware of lotus for another reason?

Thanks! And congrats again! What an amazing spot to move into!

Ask a Question