New from RI

Reaction score
I also have another question regarding pond plants...I know it is getting late in the season so would it be wise to wait to buy aquatic plants, or will I still have time for the plants to establish themself before winter. This might be a stupid quesiton, but is it better to have the plants potted or buried into the river gravel/rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I agree with Sissy in that the amount of the muck will depend on numbers of things. Since I dont have a lot of rocks I just stir all the rocks once in a while and that helpes. I think bare roots plants will help too. I also think that with lots of rocks you should have a few bottom feeder type fish, bring them in during cold months though.

It seems like your pond is partly in a shade, that can be a good thing as mine is in full shade and I dont have any problem with algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just saw your question about the plant... imo I think one month of warm weather should be enough for the plant to established, but I live in the south, my winter is not so cold so I dont know if that'll be enough for cold winter.

I voted for bare roots since it'll help with your muck a bit :)

I actually have my plant in pots but just put several rocks on top of it so it's a bit contained but get to use all the nutrients in the water.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
My preference is potted plant... I'm new to ponds and have to move mine around a few times to already, just for aesthetics, and having them in pots makes it easier. I re-use the black plastic 1-3 gallon pots you get at the garden centre when you buy a new plant and line the bottom with a sheet of landscape fabric to cover the holes. In some cases, I've cut them down in height for shallower areas, they work pretty good and "free".

Reaction score
Nepen said:
Just saw your question about the plant... imo I think one month of warm weather should be enough for the plant to established, but I live in the south, my winter is not so cold so I dont know if that'll be enough for cold winter.

I voted for bare roots since it'll help with your muck a bit :)

I actually have my plant in pots but just put several rocks on top of it so it's a bit contained but get to use all the nutrients in the water.
thanks for the advice...I think I might put them in pots for now...and try to transfer them into the substrate next year in the spring and see what will work best....

slakker said:
My preference is potted plant... I'm new to ponds and have to move mine around a few times to already, just for aesthetics, and having them in pots makes it easier. I re-use the black plastic 1-3 gallon pots you get at the garden centre when you buy a new plant and line the bottom with a sheet of landscape fabric to cover the holes. In some cases, I've cut them down in height for shallower areas, they work pretty good and "free".
i like the idea that you can move them around to see what will work best. I really like the idea about reusing the old pots...i have a few hanging around that I will be able to use from then I landcape the outside of the pond this weekend

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
potted plants like all kinds of grasses and sedges and mini catails but do remember to repot them and clean off all the dirt from the roots and clean pot in peroxide and water and even clean roots in a solution of it .You never know what could get in the plants and then repot in 100% clay kitty litter and that will help buffer your water .I found the grasses and sedges clean water the best and get a nice fine net to pick up stuff that blows into the pond .I use a pool net since mine is deep .

Reaction score
thanks for the advice...I am gonna try it out this weekend
sissy said:
potted plants like all kinds of grasses and sedges and mini catails but do remember to repot them and clean off all the dirt from the roots and clean pot in peroxide and water and even clean roots in a solution of it .You never know what could get in the plants and then repot in 100% clay kitty litter and that will help buffer your water .I found the grasses and sedges clean water the best and get a nice fine net to pick up stuff that blows into the pond .I use a pool net since mine is deep .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm getting a late start on some plants, too, so hoping they make it. I know that with regular plants, they say to plant/transplant them when they go dormant, but don't know if the root structure of aquatic plants would make a difference in survival.

Reaction score
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3520]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3519]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3518]

not sure if the pics are gonna work, but here it goes.....finally worked on the pond a little this weekend....still no electrical work done, my electrician is taking his time getting back to me...i finally got some plants around the outside of the pond and experimented with some edging...would love to hear what you guys think? I think the plants and topsoil add alot to the pond...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! Love the rocks, I had them once in a pond, they disappeared quickly. It was in arizona, where we have tons of dust, think that did not help one bit.

This pond is rockless, except the ones that have fallen in.

Go ahead and start your plants they should do fine. I started a bunch towards the end of the year when I built my pond, they all survived.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads