New in NY state

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
I live in NY, halfway between Syracuse and Rochester and along the shore of Lake Ontario. I have always been a water lover, and also an animal and garden lover. :) Once my kids grew up, I couldn't see having a pool, as I wanted something that I could share with my dogs and the wildlife, and started to look at ponds. This year it became a possibility and I started to research backyard ponds.
Long story short, I bought a very inexpensive small solar fountain pump, and decided to go from there. I knew I would have fun planning and building this pond over the summer, but a combination of hubby's vacation last week, plus a big wedding reception here on Saturday, led him to surprise me with a 5x8 kidney shaped pond, in place, with 2 lily pads, 1 pitcher plant, lots of our native rocks, the fountain pump, and 10 goldfish in place by last Thursday. I have been scrambling ever since to understand, control, manage, maintain, and enjoy this pond! :):eek::rolleyes::barefoot::love:
This is the biggest challenge I have had in a while, especially since I am grateful to hubby for doing all this, but am not sure where to go from here, as it is not exactly what I wanted! lol
My ultimate goal is a pond big enough to get in and splash around without disturbing delicate eco systems, enjoy the beauty of the water, rocks, frogs, flowers, fish, and have a waterfall and stream besides. Oh, and the biggest goal is to have it all be solar powered. I am adamant that there will be no electricity involved. I will ask lots of questions, but for now I am enjoying all the photos of everyone's ponds, and getting lots of idea!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Very nice of your hubby to surprise you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome!!!! Just so you know, no matter what, your pond will never be "finished"... oh sure, it will always look awesome, but you'll be tinkering with it for years to come as it evolves to what you've always wanted and planned on =D It's a disease...

Anywho, on the subject of solar, I just recently acquired a small solar pump from amazon (maybe it's the same one you have?!?) - intended for birdbaths but I plan on test driving it in a small grotto extension of my pond. One thing to keep in mind... if you have a fish, you really need to try and keep water circulating throughout the night. Night time is particularly stressful for fish because aquatic plants (even oxygenators) give off CO2 at night, which can be bad if there is no movement/filtration/aeration to counteract it. So your solar setup will need some provisions for a battery of some sort to take it through the night.

But, lucky you for receiving a lovely pond as a surprise!!!! Hubby sounds like a real keeper! Would love to see photos (of the pond, not the hubby, lol)!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome!
As has already been said, you're on a slippery slope. Before you even finish one improvement another idea will occur to you and pretty soon you'll have a backlog of projects. Ponds are a never ending trip...enjoy the ride!

Ask a Question