New Koi Online

Reaction score
Ok, so my 17 new koi just showed up. 2 were flat out dead, the 2 biggest ones, which I'm sure is because they needed more O2 than the smaller ones, so that seems very logical. There were also 2 very large butterflies that were barely hanging on. I put those into the pond immediately. The water temps were super close and I figured the water was obviously too far gone so I dumped them in hoping they'd get some oxygen and clean water without ammonia. They are laying on their sides on the bottom of the pond sucking at the water, and every minute or so they swim sideways down the pond to some other spot. Is there any chance they will recover? 1%? 2%? Or are they dead right now and just not know it?

The rest of the koi look great, thankfully the black and platinum ones I selected both arrived alive, and there are some really nice colors on the rest of them. Super happy, and to be honest, I don't think I want the 4 fish replaced, I just want my money back, I need to fund my skippy filter after all, and if they dont' spawn next year I'll buy 4 more then, but for now I have, excuse the pun, bigger fish to fry.

I paid $25 for the platinum ogon, and I actually got 1 for free in my standard fin assortment, can't hardly complain about that. One of the ones that is dying is an awesome black on top white on bottom butterfly, looks like jaws, very cool, damn shame about him.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok, so my 17 new koi just showed up. 2 were flat out dead, the 2 biggest ones, which I'm sure is because they needed more O2 than the smaller ones, so that seems very logical. There were also 2 very large butterflies that were barely hanging on. I put those into the pond immediately. The water temps were super close and I figured the water was obviously too far gone so I dumped them in hoping they'd get some oxygen and clean water without ammonia. They are laying on their sides on the bottom of the pond sucking at the water, and every minute or so they swim sideways down the pond to some other spot. Is there any chance they will recover? 1%? 2%? Or are they dead right now and just not know it?

The rest of the koi look great, thankfully the black and platinum ones I selected both arrived alive, and there are some really nice colors on the rest of them. Super happy, and to be honest, I don't think I want the 4 fish replaced, I just want my money back, I need to fund my skippy filter after all, and if they dont' spawn next year I'll buy 4 more then, but for now I have, excuse the pun, bigger fish to fry.

I paid $25 for the platinum ogon, and I actually got 1 for free in my standard fin assortment, can't hardly complain about that. One of the ones that is dying is an awesome black on top white on bottom butterfly, looks like jaws, very cool, damn shame about him.

Who did you buy from?

From my limited experience those two are probably off to fish heaven soon. But I hope the recover

Reaction score
I bought them from Next Day Koi Online. The one butterfly fish that was acting ok ended up going crazy, he swam around on the surface really fast for about an hour, he's only just now slowed down and started swimming near the bottom. He won't school up with the rest of the fish though. Once he does that I think he'll be out of the woods. The white butterfly just died a minute ago, and the black one disappeared. I'm sure he's under a flap somewhere. Worst part about this was I really only bought these fish because I wanted butterflies, I lost 4 out of 5 butterflies. I hope I can get more shipped to me rather than a cash refund, the shipping charge was pretty steep, but I got all 17 fish for one flat shipping fee, so it was really affordable, if I have to order 5 more though, it's not quite so cheap.

Reaction score
Just got done emailing the company, they wanted to give me cash back for the dead fish, ( which ended up being all 4 of them by the way) but I said if I buy 5 more will you ship them for free? He said yes, so hopefully with only 5 fish in the bag they'll have enough oxygen to make it this time. The 4 fish that died are gorgeous too, it's a damn shame.

Reaction score
I bought from him last year, I got 7 all in the 4 - 6 inch size they all did wonderfully, I would not hesitate to order from him again. I had 2 standards and the rest butterflys, and are just awesome! Don't know how the weather is for you, but I would think they will do fine, as long as it's not too hot when shipped.

Reaction score
It's HOT AS HELL! Now is probably not a great time to be buying new fish, but hopefully with only 5 fish in the bag they won't suffocate. Last time there were 17, that's probably pushing it.

Reaction score
Bought outright. Got the 5 assorted butterfly kit, the 10 assorted standard kit, those were like $60 total for those. Then I bought a solid black butterfly, and a platinum ogon for $25 each, all were buy it now. Didn't want to get into a bidding war, I just wanted more fish.

The ones that are alive are doing great, they seemed to have been around humans a lot more than my others, they aren't near as afraid of me when I walk around the pond, I really like that.

Out of the 13 that survived they're all really nice looking fish except 2. One is exactly the same color and texture as the bottom of my pond, which is to say, ugly, and the second one looks just like him, but his head has a slight orange tint to it. I'm ok with that though, it's kind of cool to have invisible fish in your pond, they come out of nowhere and then pow they're on the surface eating.

Reaction score
So I do have the one butterfly koi that was alive but acting nuts. He has calmed down and is acting normal, but he won't hang around any other fish. If a fish comes around him he darts off as fast as he can. What does that mean?

Reaction score
yea i have a black koi too and when my water isn't/wasn't clear i rarely see him.. and he is the only one that doesn't come to the surface to eat.. i also have what looks to be a platinum one that took awhile before it would come to the surface to eat, it preferred scavenging and still does like to

Reaction score
not sure, could mean that it doesn't feel it could defend itself just yet..although i don't know if fish really fight or one pecks and the other flees... i would say fish can heal themselves to a degree and some can thrive even with flaws, just wait it out and look for it each day... as long as it's still alive is a plus in my mind

Reaction score
Good shot of a lot of the new fish. The large one at the back is old, as is the mostly orange one, but all of these rest of these are new.

Attachments

• CIMG1297.JPG
    CIMG1297.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 259

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
The way your describing the one that is still questionable is normal for a stressed fish. Is it out of the woods, NO, Need to keep a very close eye on that one, the next 48 hours will be critical. 17 fish was pushing the limits on one box. I typically only order 3-6 fish from them per order. $35 is pretty cheap shipping for me, It costs me $60 in gas to make it to the only two good dealers here in one day. If I hit only Purdin it's at least $40 in gas and their fish start at $40 each so that adds up quick too. If your going to add more, Pick individual fish, don't buy lots, in many cases those fish that get sent are the ones that didn't sell the first time around. many have torn fins or other things wrong that they don't post them up for individual inspection.

Reaction score
Ok, so that's stress, obviously he was just as close to death as a fish could come, which makes sense since he was the next biggest one in line behind the 4 dead ones.

I doubt I'll ever buy another fish, these guys should spawn and I'll have my pick of their litters when that happens. I have a really decent school to start that whole process off.

But yeah, 17 fish is madness in a single bag for 24 hours. I feel really bad for them, but I figured I'd get at least 2 boxes with 2 bags in each, I guess this online seller really isn't too opposed to animal cruelty. I defintely won't ever buy more than 7 or 8 again if for some reason I lose all of my fish. If they won't be responsible about it, I will do it for them.

Reaction score
Just went outside this morning and the stressed fish has finally left the shallow end of the pool and was swimming calmly with 2 other smaller koi. So I guess that's a best case scenario. So glad, he's a magnificient fish, mettalic white butterfly with black and orange patches everywhere.

Ask a Question