New lilies and spawning Koi

Reaction score
New lilies and spawning Koi.I have a 6000 gallon Koi Pond that’s about 10 years old and I would think I would know better than to buy new lilies before spawning is over. It was a very active spawning season now have to go buy new lilies!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my lilies are older, they know better and shut their eyes when such hanky panky is happening. The result is the fish don't get ticked at voyeur plants, which get to survive.:rolleyes:

So, which do you want help with chastising; the fish or the lilies?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have tons of plants lillies, forget me nots, water cress and iris being the top contenders. The rest and diversity of plants are up in the stream or upper pond where there are no koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My koi trash the lilies during spawning, but they just seem to spring back.

This year, I was thinking of lifting the lily pots out of the pond and putting them in my livestock tank. Then securing pool noodles to the side of the pond where they usually spawn and zip tying cotton mop heads to them. This would be done as birth control......I could lift them from the pond with loads of eggs on them.

Notice I've said " thinking" about these ideas......probably will carry on as we do most years - LOL !

Ask a Question