Fertilizer for Water Lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been doing this for quite some time and have never fertilized my water lilies. I had someone tell me that I did not need to when I first started, so I didn't.
I now feel like I should try it. Just wondering what type everyone is using and where they get it?
I do not use soil in any of my plants. Only stones. River stones, mostly 1 inch or larger.
Thanks!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use Pondtabs but when I repotted this year, I used Osmocote under the litter. Not sure if you can fertilize with no soil. How have your lilies been doing? If you have a lot of fish, they are taking care of it for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And that is exactly what I was told. I just feel like my lilies could be doing better......

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put osmocote under the litter, seldom add pond tabs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have done both - years I fertilized the lilies a lot, and years I never fertilized them. I definitely get much better performance out of them when I use Pondtabbs every two weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Yeah for the first 5 years or so I never fertilized them but began to notice fewer and smaller blooms. Started with the spikes. Made no difference. So last fall I addd a healthy dose of osmocote to their containers. We’ll see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
use a fertilizer high in phosphorus as that is the ingredient for blooms. If you think you should have more pads, then use high in nitrogen. Water lilies tend to be heavy feeders, though don't necessarily clean the water column that well.

Ask a Question