New member... my water is green!

Reaction score
I've had this pond for 10 years. 22x22 ... savio skimmer, 5000gph pump, bio filter. 8 koi (16-20") This year the water is greener than ever. I reduced plants by 60% last fall... lillies and arrowheads, etc. had over grown.

I am shying away from a UV light due to the expense and the relative short life span of the bulb. Any suggestions of degreening?

ps... I have only lost one of my fish in 10 years... last week one of the koi (18") jumped out of the pond and died on the bank. :frown:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome to the group, plants really help with the green water.

they like you to introduce your self in the intro thread...............

Reaction score
Had similar green water three years ago. Installed a skippy filter and bought a bale of barley straw from a farmer and forgot about the uv light. I put a big double handful of straw in a cloth bag every two weeks (have three bags under the water fall now). Surprisingly clear water even with the 90 degree heat we are experiencing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fish said:
Had similar green water three years ago. Installed a skippy filter and bought a bale of barley straw from a farmer and forgot about the uv light. I put a big double handful of straw in a cloth bag every two weeks (have three bags under the water fall now). Surprisingly clear water even with the 90 degree heat we are experiencing.

Sorry about you fish jumping out maplerock.

That barley straw works great fishin, a cheap fix. And plants.
My pond is just filtered with a large bog and plants, lots of plants.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Rock. So sorry to hear about the death of your fish. Normally, the reason for a green pond is that it is not in balance which suggests to me that your bio-filter is not sufficient for the size of your pond and the amount of fish in it. If you were to add another bio-filter to your pond, this might clear it up. I've got a great diagram if your interested. Addy has put it on the site somewhere if you would like to see it. You could use this filter in conjunction with the filter you already have. Addy has it on the site if you are interested.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Reaction score
Hi Addy1: Can you add barley straw under the waterfall in middle of season? I had heard you had to have it there at the beginning of season for some reason. I do have a few balls of barley straw not used from last year. my wife had order four of the barley straw balls last year but I forgot to put any out this season.. Just have to find a mesh bag to put them in. Thanks..

That barley straw works great fishin, a cheap fix.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can put them in but it does take a while to start breaking down, could take two to three weeks before it would breakdown enough to do much good, but you can add it now and if you want to kick start it add some Hydrogen peroxide (Addy will chime in more on the dosage) Or you can add Barley extract until the Barley itself starts breaking down.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bobsox, I have not used barley straw or peroxide on this pond, no need to, no algae issues. The only algae I have is some hanging on to the lily stems.

Peroxide, I used to use in my arizona pond, at the rate of 1 liter per 1000 gallons, I would pour 14 liter bottles into my stream. It would wipe out the algae (mainly did it to fight the string stuff) for the year.

I never really had the green water issue in that pond either.

If you want to try it start with 1/2 liter per 1000 gallons, just to be safe. I had a lot of water flow and good o2 going on, and no koi.

koiladies filter is in the diy section.

Reaction score
Thanks and I'll look for a mesh bag and hang some barley straw under the waterfall and will put some Hydrogen Peroxide in as well. I did dump some of that in last year as well to help clear everything up. I did have a long talk yesteday with the main man (Technical) at Aquadyne re" the Aquadyne Bead Filter with Blower that I'm using now. He tells me that the Filter when working properly should be the only filter needed along with the 40W UV light to keep water clean. Of course I still need the plants (Lilies etc) along with water changes and shade and other maintenance things. But he said I should not have to continue using the Strapping and pads that I am using now in the bio -filter at the waterfall. That would be great if it works but I am a little skeptical but we'll see. If it doesn't - I can put in Bio-balls along with media pads I guess. Do you think that can work? Thanks.

Ask a Question