New Member, New Pond, Earthworms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have just joined this forum as I see it is popular, and can see answers to questions I already had, and look forward to learning more on how to maintain a healthy garden pond.
I live in the NE of Scotland, and have reinstated a large pond and waterfall in my garden, it has a new liner and pump, and a preformed waterfall that has been cleaned and replaced onto a newly landscaped area, it is south facing and at the moment has no shade.

8A14DAA0-D4AD-423C-AA0C-3752D7553446.jpeg

I am now ready to start planting, and have cleaned out the pond in preparation of plants, and the filter, UV, and pump set up on a timer for daylight hours.
I am looking to run the pond for plants only.

2336DEC9-8DB3-4B5C-9174-66139051943B.jpeg

However, for the last week, I have been removing what looks to me to be earthworms from the bottom of the pond on a daily basis, up to 8 a day!!!
Is this usual, as I cannot see how they are getting there, and want to know are they going to damage any new plants that I put into the pond.
Thanks in advance.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1617309760083.gif
@Houpmin
The worms prolly crawl up from your grass and along the rocks and into the pond. If you had a few fish in there they would eat them. Not much you can do about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello, I have just joined this forum as I see it is popular, and can see answers to questions I already had, and look forward to learning more on how to maintain a healthy garden pond.
I live in the NE of Scotland, and have reinstated a large pond and waterfall in my garden, it has a new liner and pump, and a preformed waterfall that has been cleaned and replaced onto a newly landscaped area, it is south facing and at the moment has no shade.

View attachment 137514

I am now ready to start planting, and have cleaned out the pond in preparation of plants, and the filter, UV, and pump set up on a timer for daylight hours.

View attachment 137516
However, for the last week, I have been removing what looks to me to be earthworms from the bottom of the pond on a daily basis, up to 8 a day!!!
Is this usual, as I cannot see how they are getting there, and want to know are they going to damage any new plants that I put into the pond.
Thanks in advance.
quite a pristine site, a new pond setup! Be interesting to see how you work the landscape. Be aware that your liner is exposed to the sun and that will shorten its life. It's best to run your pump 24/7 if you want to avoid problems (providing you're going to have fish/wildlife).

Welcome to GPF!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome! I get the worms too. Good food for my goldfish which are going outside this weekend for the season.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice build! Pond plants love fish poo. Maybe stick with some fan tails, minnows or something small if you don't want bigger fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm always amazed that the folks on the other side of the pond build mostly contemporary designs yet all the homes are 100's of years old. Nothing screams a match to me then recreating a mossy slow flow pond and waterfall to fit in seamlessly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll agree with the suggestion to consider adding some fish - without fish in the pond, you'll have to fertilize your plants on a regular basis. They won't get any nutrients from a pond full of just water.

As to your question - worms won't hurt anything. They're no doubt wandering in by mistake and can't get back out. I'd assume they are dead when you find them.

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

View attachment 137514

View attachment 137516
Thanks in advance.
man, that looks good. a few minnows will keep it cleaned for you

Ask a Question