Hello from a new member with a small deck pond

LJO

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings from New Jersey. So glad I found this group. For the past few years I wanted to have a koi pond. But after doing a great deal of research I decided that I would be better off (and so would my prospective fish, lol) by starting with a small pond with shubunkin.

I have been active in dog foster and rescue for many years, particularly fostering and re-homing elder and sick dogs. I bring the same commitment to the well-being of my fish. I want to learn and consistently improve my skills and knowledge.

My pond that is @110 gallons and is situated on my deck. I have some water hyacinth, water cala lilies, a pond pump and fountain, some rocks on shelves, a water test kit (so far so good), pond salt - just in case, food, etc. I have 2 shubunkin, one of which appears to be getting ready to lay eggs, and a tadpole.

Now for a few questions:
1. What type of thermometer do you recommend?
2. Has anyone used any self-feeders that they recommend - for when I am away for a few days
3. How often should I be siphoning the bottom of the pond to remove the occasional things that blow in or fall from the plants and sink to the bottom
4. What is a good book for a novice like me covering pond maintenance, wintering one's pond, and many of the basics?
5. How long do fish usually wait before laying their eggs? At first I was concerned that my shubunkin was bloated but based on what I've read and from observing her behavior and the behavior of the other shubunkin (chairing and nudging) I think she may be egg-laden.

Thanks, in advance. One day I hope to be a veteran "ponder" so I can help a novice like me.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Welcome LJO!

Your Water Hyacinths rapidly mutilply so keep a watchful eye on them. Better you use a large aquarium net or small pond net to scoop debris from the bottom than draining. Especially true since your pond is 110 gallons. Others may thing differently but unless you are going to be away for extended periods an auto feeder may not be necessary. This forum is an outstanding resource for new pond keepers. Your situation is somewhat unique given the size of your pond. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome fellow NJ .I miss my home state .All my dogs have been rescues from pit bulls to chihuahuas and I have given them all my love because they need it and deserve it and are so grateful to be loved and spoiled that you can see it in there loyalty .Thermometer is easy they sell them all over .I have 2 that float and one that is submerged and on a floating tether .I paid less than 7 dollars .I use a swimming pool net to get stuff off the bottom once a week .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome:) I too am involved with rescue and foster regularly. I just bought a cheap thermometer, nothing fancy. I keep it on the bottom of the pond and net it out when I want to know the temp. I use a net everyday to scoop out debris. Again, welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. I started with a 100 gal stock tank buried in the ground. Had that for a couple years. I just used a small net to get debris off the bottom on a weekly basis. Did water changes every couple of weeks by filling 5 gal buckets and letting them set for a couple of days to dechlorinate. Fishies were healthy and happy.
I am currently working on a little dog that came into my life and is extremely timid. Slowly making progress.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Welcome! I would clean bottom of pond as needed. Right now I have lots of tree litter and so I netting and scooping junk everyday, and cleaning filters weekly and skimmer daily. The caterpillars are eating lots of leaves and making huge mess right now, will be happy when they are gone. I am thinking I should have put up fine net to cover at least the top two ponds for a week till things quit falling from trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome. That's pretty exciting that you have a new pond and the fish are spawning aready. You don't need to worry about the females unless they get bruised up too bad. They will drop eggs when they get pushed on and that can go on for months. I only clean the bottom of my pond once a year and just net out floating debris every day or so. It makes for a fun excuse to go hang out with my fish! Re: feeding the fish, they can go the whole summer with stuff they find in the pond. You don't have to feed them but people do it to help them grow. Re temps. Once the water temps are consitantly over 55 degrees you can start giving them regular food. Otherwise the temp is something you don't need to really check that often. Good luck with your pond!

Ask a Question