Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hello Jackie and welcome. You have a great looking pond that will bring you many hours of enjoyment. And be thankful your granddaughter only threw pebbles in, when our niece and nephew we here over the summer, I had to fish out chocolate doughnuts. Do you know what happens to chocolate doughnuts when the get soggy, hehe.

Reaction score
Beautiful pond,

Just a though but for the sake of 15 small fish it might be an idea to take your fish inside for the winter. The last winter I spent in Chicago was the coldest I have ever been. With a pond that is only 20" deep you will be hard pressed to get them to survive the winter. If your having a professional pond company do it for you, they probably have a better idea of what can and can't be done in your area. In my neck of the woods I suggest a 4' minimum depth for overwintering. Not to mention you get to see your fish all year round. :)

Love the Hosta

Steve

Reaction score
How do you feel about an nice big tank with13 fishies in your house for the winter? Your grandchildren would love it!!!! A 36" minimum was recommended in my research for the cold winters of Michigan. Please keep us posted, I would be sad for your fish to freeze. My friend ran her pump and water fall all winter with a heater and air stone in the pond. I plan to use the air stone and heater.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Beautiful pond,

Just a though but for the sake of 15 small fish it might be an idea to take your fish inside for the winter. The last winter I spent in Chicago was the coldest I have ever been. With a pond that is only 20" deep you will be hard pressed to get them to survive the winter. If your having a professional pond company do it for you, they probably have a better idea of what can and can't be done in your area. In my neck of the woods I suggest a 4' minimum depth for overwintering. Not to mention you get to see your fish all year round. :)

Love the Hosta

Steve
Thanks Steve. My Pond Guy assures me with a heater and bubbler that I will be OK. So, I guess he buys me new fish if they don't survive. Would be a challenge to bring them in the house. Thanks for your concern

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave, I really have no idea what they all are. Bought them at a "pond" store. I guess I need them to pose for me so I can take a few photos.
The person/company that built the pond will come in in October and prepare the pond for winter. It will require a heater and bubbler? The deepest part of the pond is 20 inches. Another unknown. Nest year this time, I will be more educated :)
20" is a bit on the shallow side especially if your winters are hard which I believe they are in Chicago the windy city which worries me a little , I cant understand why your pond people didnt point that out for you .
Our own pond is 4.5ft deep with is the minimum for koi here in the UK 5ft being the prefared depth and our pond is heavily insulated against the cold even though on average for the UK our temperatures are relativly mild our lowest ever being -15c for a few weeks .
Even our filtration is heavily insulated and roof ed with policarbonate roofing sheets , we even place Policarbonate shees over the pond to protect our koi against the rigours of winter.

Dave

Ask a Question