new pond and bog - status report

Reaction score
Country
United States
We're not done yet but I wanted to share our progress.
Basic structure is done
IMG_3581.jpg

We're rinsing the gravel in-situ and repurposing the wastewater so as not to drain our well, so it'll be days still before the bog is filled.

And our pond is more or less complete, we just need to add more rocksIMG_3581.jpgIMG_3591.jpgIMG_3590.jpg and fine tune it a bit
IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg

Strangely, the duck - for whom we did this whole big project - want nothing to do with it. They're usually pecking at my back while I fill their pond so not sure what's troubling them.
Meanwhile I'm hoping that we're not killing the maple with all the extra weight. Although it wasn't the original footprint, somehow the whole project got bigger and bigger and we ended up building essentially right on top of it.
Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming together. Can't wait to get the bog up and running!
Thanks again to all for the advice and support!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the duck - for whom we did this whole big project - want nothing to do with it
They are probably confused about all the work done. give them time bet they will love it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe they are just trying to figure out the easiest way to enter it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can’t really see it but two sides of the pond are pretty much “beach” where they can walk right in.
They took a little splash and dive today but they’re still warming up to it all. I think they’ll be more interested when the spillway is flowing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! I'm not responsible for the rockwork, that was all my husband's work.
More likely that the ducks will knock the chickens in. Although frankly right now the chickens are more interested in all of it.
Ah well, it is nice to look at....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
SWMBOs mother set a nest of duck eggs under a hen. When they hatched and the ducklings headed to the water, poor hen went crazy. :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hubby did a great job rocks are stacked with the seams staggered ......bravo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks! I'm not responsible for the rockwork, that was all my husband's work.
More likely that the ducks will knock the chickens in. Although frankly right now the chickens are more interested in all of it.
Ah well, it is nice to look at....
I’m hoping you didn’t have to buy all those rocks! I’m wondering how many tons of rock you have? Everything looks great!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ha! My husband is no lightweight, but hardly Herculean. Bit of a stringbean in fact. Still, I'll tell him you said so.
He and my eldest don't shy away from heavy labor. They've done a fair bit of trail building and maintenance for local land trusts and preserves, so they know how to move a rock.
And no, we didn't have to buy them - only the pea gravel. The pond was built near an old stone wall so we were able to use some of those rocks, and the rest we brought up from another old stone wall on the property. Lots of small trips, but it was a fun family activity, finding the best ones. The mossy rocks are especially prized.

It did turn out to be a massive project, inspired by an idle "we should build a bigger pond for the ducks" from my son. But he did a ton of the work.
It's looking better every day. Got some plants in yesterday, fenced off so they have some chance of survival against the birds. We go out to check on things every 20 minutes or so, just to see how it's all coming along. ;)
My husband is working outside and is loving the sound of running water.
IMG_3651.jpg
IMG_3652.jpg
IMG_3646.jpg
IMG_3645.jpg
IMG_3653.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You guys are awesome!
You created an outdoor sanctuary for you and your pets.
Those are some nice looking ducks!
My daughter has chickens and ducks, or rather had...most were taken by a family of black bear. They literally tore open the side of the wooden nesting house.
I had to go over there and reinforce everything. I used tons of screws and slapped any lumber I had across the sides.
I'm surprised they didn't rip open the chicken wire that encloses the big open area where they roam.

I love the duck eggs. Super large yolks. Yummy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You guys are awesome!
You created an outdoor sanctuary for you and your pets.
Those are some nice looking ducks!
My daughter has chickens and ducks, or rather had...most were taken by a family of black bear. They literally tore open the side of the wooden nesting house.
I had to go over there and reinforce everything. I used tons of screws and slapped any lumber I had across the sides.
I'm surprised they didn't rip open the chicken wire that encloses the big open area where they roam.

I love the duck eggs. Super large yolks. Yummy!

Thanks! We try to keep them happy. They're good fun. They really wanted to see what I was doing and get in the photos.
Loved the ducks eggs when we were getting them but now we just have to two boys.

Never thought too worry about a black bear though. Yikes! We had one come through a few years ago, no respect for fences (or anything else).
I've mostly been worried about fox, raccoons, possum (had either a raccoon or possum come check out the pond just recently in fact). But the scent of our dog seems to be a pretty good deterrent.
Might be time to increase security.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Last year we had an opossum get in the chicken coop and eat some chickens.
I would have never thought an opossum would eat chickens, but he was caught in the act.

My daughter's dumb ex-boyfriend illegally shot and killed that opossum with his 40 caliber. He shot right through into the shed and blew out a tire on his stump grinder. What an idiot. Any higher aim and he could have hit the house. What a jerk! Discharging a firearm that close to a residence is illegal.

Ask a Question