New pond complete, could use a quick opinion on final touches PIC included

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How much sun is the pond getting each day? Could be the reason for your aquatic plants not taking off

Reaction score
Country
United States
True, I didn't think of that. You could probably add some goldfish or minnows to it, but there is the chance they would get pushed over the falls and into the big pond. You could add some mesh or screen to keep them in the upper pond somehow? Or just put some aquatic plants in that part and use it as a kind of "bog". How deep is the upper pond??

I just stock a tape measure In there last week. It' a tad over 3ft and some slate for shelfs

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much sun is the pond getting each day? Could be the reason for your aquatic plants not taking off

Yes I bet your right. I hung 2 huge shade sails we picked up from Costco so pond is very shaded. They said they block 90 percent of rays and just a just a bit on Sun come in on the sides ECT. They make it so enjoyable to be able to sit out there. I also thought it.would help with keeping any algee away. Maybe I will take 1 down and see how that goes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plants need some sun.

Took 1 down yesterday and did a slight brush of rocks about 30 percent of the rocks to remove some of the brown diatoms to see what happens. Moved some plants around to get the most sun. Hopefully they will do better now.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your pond looks great. Depending on how much sun the area gets, something you might try is a sculpted pine. You can keep it contained by keeping it trimmed, kind of like a bonsai tree. Something like this:
2018-5-22 sculpted pine (1).JPG

Reaction score
beautiful pond and courtyard. well done!

just a comment on the earlier post of adding a bloodgood j-m. imo that would overwhelm your space. plenty of other smaller specimens, and weeping types, would serve you better.

Ask a Question