New Pond Equipment Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
The actual maintenance a pressure filter requires is about 15 minutes every other month. While I back wash the filter I use the water which is a great fertilizer and pump it into the plants around the pond. Our ponds are about the same size so I would suggest if you can get the Pondmax 7200 you can't over filter your water and it can handle a 4000 gph flow which will look nice coming down a water fall and aerating your pond. Canister filters are more than adequate for smaller ponds like ours.
We ended up getting the pond Max 3600 because they had one in stock. It said 3600 gallons if no fish and shade and 1800 gallons if fish and sun. Ours is 1750 give or take. Also this is a supplemental filter because we already have the skimmer and bio filter falls so we thought the 3600 would be perfect. And we also have a lot of plants and rocks and and aerator already so we thought of it as just an additional thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Your going to be happy with that filter it's well made and does a great job. I have the same setup as you I use my Pondmax as a supplement to my bio falls also it's a great setup.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your going to be happy with that filter it's well made and does a great job. I have the same setup as you I use my Pondmax as a supplement to my bio falls also it's a great setup.
Great. Thanks. Just koi clayed it again also. NH3 coming down slowly. Now between .25 and .5, pH down slightly to 8.0 so lookin good. Also fed them just a tiny bit so I could check them all.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Basically finished product
3C78BF09-9C86-464D-B088-A3E4FE03731E.jpeg
57CA0AE4-F1EB-41C9-AC1C-D168E21E13C8.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... you can check out Team Aquascape on YouTube. They build them all the time. @GBBUDD built one - I think he has pictures in his pond build thread here:

It's a long thread, but I think he has pictures and a good description of how he did it. I think his is slightly different than ours.

Ours is an edge (essentially a waterfall, so we just had to be careful to place the rock at the outflow just slightly lower than the rest of the pond edge to keep the water high enough but not too high, if you get my drift! ) that flows into a 1000 gallon underground water catchment. It's filled with Aquablox and some cobbles and topped with river rock. Add a centipede and snorkel and you have a pump housing, too. One of our better ideas in pond construction. No skimmer needed!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi @Lisa K , do you have any good sites that shows how to build a negative edge? I just learned about them yesterday. Thanks :)
yeah I did build a negative edge with a twist the pond in that area is 2.6 feet deep and the small puddle i will call it on the down flow is 3 feet deep from the same point . then tge water like lisa flows into the cistern. look at the end of the blog . pages in the 40s

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@Lisa K and @GBBUDD ..thanks for this information. I might give it ia try...
It rained the last few days, the entire area is wet clay/mud, and slippery. The pond is full of mud LOL

Ask a Question