New pond is complete!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh CE, welcome back !! I love your new pond, patio and waterfalls...just gorgeous ! Where in OH are you located? I'm in the Cincinnati area. I'm interested in how you transported the fish in those big tubs......did you have a battery powered aerator?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh CE, welcome back !! I love your new pond, patio and waterfalls...just gorgeous ! Where in OH are you located? I'm in the Cincinnati area. I'm interested in how you transported the fish in those big tubs......did you have a battery powered aerator?
Tula, I’m in NW Cincinnati!!! Small world, huh?!? Yep I bought 10 little battery powered aerators. Probably way more than needed but didn’t want to take a chance. They all got here without any losses. Haven’t lost a fish ever, except when airplane sprayed fields around my house in IL and lost most of my goldfish. I’ve been very lucky.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula, I’m in NW Cincinnati!!! Small world, huh?!? Yep I bought 10 little battery powered aerators. Probably way more than needed but didn’t want to take a chance. They all got here without any losses. Haven’t lost a fish ever, except when airplane sprayed fields around my house in IL and lost most of my goldfish. I’ve been very lucky.
I'm on the east side of Cincinnati, the Loveland - Milford - Miami Township area. Who built your pond ? I've found it difficult to find pond contractors . We met the man who did our pond, at Jones Fish Hatchery...but he's since left the business.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm on the east side of Cincinnati, the Loveland - Milford - Miami Township area. Who built your pond ? I've found it difficult to find pond contractors . We met the man who did our pond, at Jones Fish Hatchery...but he's since left the business.
Dan Meyer with Meyer Aquascapes did our pond start to finish. He has been building ponds for over 25 years. Very professional crew as well. Very particular, even more than I would have been. Hand carved each of the shelves, made sure all was level, etc.
Tula, we must get together!!! I’ll message you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This pond is amazing!!! It’s been full since July 3, and we added the fish on July 6. The pond is an Aquascapes built pond, and although I’ve never had rocks on the bottom or sides before, after reading their process, I decided to try it. The idea is two-fold. The smooth river rocks on the bottom keep UV rays from the sun from damaging the liner over time. And the rocks harbor beneficial bacteria, helping keep the water clear. All I can say is after 1.5 months of fish, there is literally no waste building up so far. Maybe it hasn’t been long enough, but so far the water is crystal clear and no debris. The water did go green a week after the fish were introduced. I had two types of beneficial bacteria provided by the pond company to add, and I bought another dose for 10,000 gallons of water to continue treating for another 8 days. (I used 1/2 cup daily instead of dumping it all in at once.) That obviously kick started the beneficial bacteria really well!
So the same koi and same goldfish that produced a total of 3 koi babies that survived the winter (never saw any goldfish babies last year ...), have spawned multiple times andwe have over 60 babies. Lots of colors and types, but the majority are blah “mules”, crosses likely between the Comets/Shubunkins and the koi. I’ll have to catch some to see if I can see barbels on them yet, to determine if any are koi. And I’ve also been told if they are crosses, they will have a jump right behind their eyes on their top edge. Now I need to go find a couple large aquariums. Geesh, I sold two 55-gallon aquariums before moving since they were so large and hard to handle.
I found out that my iPhone 11 is waterproof to 6’ so I’ve taken several videos of the fish underwater. What fun!!! Not sure if videos can be posted or not though.
Hi CE. Welcome back to GPF. Your new pond and fish looks great. You saved yourself a lot of work by not building it yourself. We moved a few years ago and the new owner filled it in too. Some people just don’t get it!

Ax01

magikarp is da best!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
WOW!! those fossils are So Kool! they're kinda like lil museum gift shop gifts/trinkets except they are the real deal. i wonder if those are plant or shellfish fossils and if they were lil sea creatures and your pond/yard/house was under water a million years ago. anyways they add even more charm to your beautiful new pond.

LeePie

Wonder Woman
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8
Country
United Kingdom
Your pond is awesome! Great job!
It's a cool idea to add lotuses to your koi pond. Japanese style.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
WOW!! those fossils are So Kool! they're kinda like lil museum gift shop gifts/trinkets except they are the real deal. i wonder if those are plant or shellfish fossils and if they were lil sea creatures and your pond/yard/house was under water a million years ago. anyways they add even more charm to your beautiful new pond.
Yep I thought at first the rocks were concrete because I’d never seen anything like it. But upon closer inspection, and googling area rock, found they are I think a type of limestone and yes must have had tons of plants and mussels in this area millions of years ago.
thanks for your kind words!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well we have about 100 babies!!! Oh my goodness, in the 10 years I’ve had most of the adult fish (some raised from babies), the koi have had a total of 8 fish survive the first year, and that was just 2 years worth, and the goldfish would have 10-20 survive by end of summer, but then maybe 5-10 to adulthood. Had lots of bullfrogs and snakes in the goldfish pond. Guessing the koi took care of their own.
0979F7F1-620D-402E-98E1-4E959DB6F7BC.jpeg

The yellow is a koi, and I think we finally spotted barbels on the large white and orange!
4C6CC8C1-8917-4B61-9AFD-778BC7EC5A28.jpeg

Koi except for the two tri-colored ones, which I think we decided are Shubies
C90F7F09-CA8D-4C4D-8A26-5901D5286E68.jpeg

That koi on top has been favorite on several pages I’ve posted pictures to. Very flashy, fins always up. Yellow/black is likely koi or mule. There are many of this color combination.
BF2DF2AF-807B-43AA-B517-297C5BA99541.jpeg
8273DFE0-1D71-44D9-9AE6-BCFBFBAEA78F.jpeg

koi and Shubie
386C321A-3942-44DF-B00A-DDE7474CB696.jpeg

Gin Rin koi
AB5A0F40-9FE7-4920-9367-3BBD2056E4AB.jpeg

Not sure about this one. Had two in the catch aquarium. Don’t see barbels yet, but the color is not goldfish color. Thoughts?
A99F1679-AB14-4B09-B87C-680782B31EE3.jpeg

This is another Gin Rin koi. It’s only 2” long. Very shiny!!!

The fish in this pond are sooo different. The koi always came up to eat, but if I got in the pond, they hid. Now they are like the goldfish, puppy dogs following me around and nibbling on me.
The babies are beautiful for the most part. I realize some may be mules (crosses between the Comet/Shubun, but you decide!

Ask a Question