New pond owner - Need help pretty urgently.

Reaction score
Country
United States
After a few days, the pump and filter box has done a pretty good job, water is basically crystal clear. Im going to have to get in it and clean the bottom out, bought a net but its just not strong enough, probably a good 6-8 inches of muck and sludge covering the bottom, seems to be frogs favorite spot too.

How does everyone here feel about stress coat for the pond? I believe city water was used.

Also does it matter how I have the filter box sitting in the pong? Its on its side. Fish are still always under the waterfall still not much activity, wondering if I need more oxygen for them? They literally are right up against the wall by the waterfall.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Get a swimming pool net from lowes .They are great .I bought the smaller one because it is easier to use
026497020055lg.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry pic will not post not sure why but it is less than 18 dollars and has an extendable handle and sturdy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@sissy it actually posted twice. (y) That's a good idea though, I wish I had gone with the smaller pool net instead of the giant pond net that I have now. It works but it's so big and it creates a lot of drag in the water. It's quite the chore trying to catch the smaller common/comet goldfish since they're so fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A pool net is definitely the way to go. Much sturdier and they last forever, even if you store it outside.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
After a few days, the pump and filter box has done a pretty good job, water is basically crystal clear. Im going to have to get in it and clean the bottom out, bought a net but its just not strong enough, probably a good 6-8 inches of muck and sludge covering the bottom, seems to be frogs favorite spot too.

How does everyone here feel about stress coat for the pond? I believe city water was used.

Also does it matter how I have the filter box sitting in the pong? Its on its side. Fish are still always under the waterfall still not much activity, wondering if I need more oxygen for them? They literally are right up against the wall by the waterfall.
I would not add anything til someone here chimes in about it. You have an established biosphere in there and it’s delicate. Any sudden change could mean bad things. As every one has said take it really slow. Slight change is the key. Nice pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

I don't know many here using stress coat except if moving fish temporarily to a stock to for over wintering and such. How much water are you adding? If just to top off, I don't usually treat the incoming water. However, you should ask your water company for a water quality report, ours are online so easy to access. The one chemical to pay attention to are Chloramines, used to treat for microbes. It is good for human consumption, but not good for pond water. In small amounts it won't harm the fish and other aquatic life, but to be safe I would add some water conditioner. There many choices out there which remove Chloramines and Chlorine. Note, they are different, make sure it can remove Chloramines. If unsure, post which product you are planning to use. Good luck

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used stress coat each time I rebuilt my pond and it does safe guard the fish ,plus I saved my pond water that helped a lot also

mallard

Diggin ponds for over 25 yrs
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had a hole in my 1500g pond had to remove all fish huge fish I used a fish net,w/o no props fish are hardy fish salt is a stress relief for fish good luck:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well we lost our 3 year old fish, the big one. Not quite sure why or if it was all of the sudden changes.

I picked up the master pond kit and ran the 4 tests.

pH Level was between 8 and 9 ( High from what I've Read)

Ammonia was in the middle of 0 and 0.25 ppm

Nitrite was was 0 ppm

Phosphate was in the middle of 0 and 0.25 ppm

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
8 or 9 is not high as long as it is stable but in the holding tank they need extra oxygen .I have rebuilt my pond 4 times and never lost a fish .I make sure I have zeolite for ammonia and crushed oyster shells and activate charcoal in the tank and use quilt batting in a crate

Ask a Question