New Pond owner, Just setting up and need help

Reaction score
I need some advise on a pump, what size for 125 gallon pond. Do you recommend dual pump?. I was looking at the Beckett brand? Is this a realiable brand? Thanks

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Reaction score
I did call Beckett and they were extremely rude and told me to get the largest pump g535, which I thought was extremely overkill.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I did call Beckett and they were extremely rude and told me to get the largest pump g535, which I thought was extremely overkill.
The G535 is overkill for your pond. That's totally unprofessional of them, you want us to prank call them back and ask for Ivana Tinkle?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I also told them I was going to have a water fall and maybe down the road add a small little fountain piece in the middle of the pond, she said I could not do that, my pond was not big enough. So I can't buy one of the little fountain sprayers and put in the middle of the pond? Considering I have seen them on display at Lowes and other places...why not?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I also told them I was going to have a water fall and maybe down the road add a small little fountain piece in the middle of the pond, she said I could not do that, my pond was not big enough. So I can't buy one of the little fountain sprayers and put in the middle of the pond? Considering I have seen them on display at Lowes and other places...why not?
You can, just make sure that the fountain does not spray outside the pond, otherwise you'll lose water.

You can do that right now. Some of the pumps come with a splitter so you can do a waterfall and a fountain like this:

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/UPG/Tetra/TetraPond/submersible_system._V341333943_.jpg

It's not letting me post an image, just click on the link.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

I had a small fountain in my 30 gallon pond with no issue, so you can definitely have one in yours. As for pump size, you want something that pumps at least as much water as your pond holds, per hour. Going over that number is even better, but you wont need some really expensive pump to get the job done.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And w/ that note above Pat
Of course you can put a little fountain in your small pond. I had one in a pond I made out of a bathtub. Had another pump and a small air pump line running in there also. I like the Laguna or Pondmaster pumps myself. I have a Pondmaster 24 in my 2400 gal pond but the Laguna's are nice as they don't use as much electricity.
Here is a copy below of some info posted on here awhile back from Haro who is a member here who works at a store that sells these pumps.

Regarding Laguna, I have been using their pumps for about 14 years, and consider them among the best FOR THE MONEY. Apparently there ARE better pumps out there, but I for one really can't afford them. Laguna pumps were made in Italy for years, but about 6 years ago they introduced a 'more affordable' line of small pumps made in China. After having to replace a number of impellers in these pumps, (One needed three in a month or so), I told the rep that I would not be carrying them any more. I don't like to sell crap. BTW, the problem with these pumps could easily be remedied by using a better plastic. The impellers basically wear out in no time. Chinese plastics were made with lead, and when North America realized the danger of lead and banned it in most products, China was caught with it's pants down, so to speak, and is now playing catch-up. Time will tell.
Anyway, the pond pumps sold under the names 'Max-Flo' and 'PowerJet' are the ones that would interest most pondkeepers, and are still made in Italy. The MF series is a basic pump intended to move water to filters or waterfalls, and has a cage around it with 5/16" holes, while the ones on the PJ line, which come with everything needed to run a fountain as well as a diverter valve to move water to other features, are 1/4". If my memory is correct, these pumps now come in sizes from 600 GPH to 4200 GPH. They are not exactly cheap, but in my opinion are good value for the money. Sorry for the long-winded post, now I have to go soak my typing finger in ice-water! ;)
John

Reaction score
Thanks everyone..I hope to be on here more, once I get everyone set up. I can't wait to have water in the pond and be able to relax on the deck after a long day at work, and listen to the water and have a beautiful view.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I use these for container ponds:

http://www.harborfreight.com/mercha.../264-gph-submersible-fountain-pump-68395.html

They are dirt cheap and very reliable. The only defect is the short cord. Unless you are right next to an outlet, you need an extension cord. You can run both a fountain and a filter from the one pump. Beckett pumps have not held up for me at all.
I forgot about Harbor Freight. I bought 3 of the smaller pumps. One of them was for my neighbor and it stopped a couple of times due to algae clogging. But I guess for that price you can't go wrong.

Reaction score
I have about six of the pumps in the link. The first one I bought has been running for 3 years. If you use the little sponge as a prefilter, you will have to clean it weekly. If you put the pump in a prefilter box. it will go for a month without cleaning.

I bought a couple of the smaller sizes, and they are trash.

Ask a Question