New Pond Owner- NJ

Reaction score
Always wanted one.Finally, a few weeks ago,I saw a shovel and starting digging!
$800 later I have one. I now need the knowledge and patience to keep it maintained properly .
My last purchase was a UV as my pond had it's algae bloom. The UV really helped with the green water and it is a lot clearer after a few days of use. I need more plants. I already want to expand it next year..should have made it bigger...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and glad you decided and good luck and hope you enjoy the pond forum sight .I lived in NJ most of my life and moved here in late 2003 .I lived in EDISON

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
animated-welcome-jumping-kid-2.gif
To our group .............laughing at the should have made it bigger statement!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Welcome, lets see some pics!

Do you have or plan on having fish?

Some very knowledgable and expirienced pond owners here, so any questions just ask away.

Reaction score
Welcome, lets see some pics!

Do you have or plan on having fish?

Some very knowledgable and expirienced pond owners here, so any questions just ask away.

I made a rookie mistake of over population per the guidelines. I have some koi and goldfish, but in a while ,some will have to come in the house. Thanks for the warm welcome.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome6700.gif
NJWX125
When you overpopulate you just make a bigger pond and on it goes :D

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IS THE LINER WHITE.It does look good but overstocking can be a big problem for water quality koi produce a lot of waste .We all do it get excited by all those pretty fish

Reaction score
IS THE LINER WHITE.It does look good but overstocking can be a big problem for water quality koi produce a lot of waste .We all do it get excited by all those pretty fish
Yes. I think I made every rookie mistake there was to make. We took down our swimming pool and I wanted be thrifty and reuse the liner. I figured white background against colorful fish..ooops.. I forgot about the algae and other things that could make it not white. My wife "mentions" this frequently, so next year when I expand it, it will be a black liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have seen a few pool liner ponds here one being 15 years old .You may want to go deeper to keep them cool in the summer and warmer in the winter .This way you won't have to worry about taking them inside during the winter .Koi get very large mine are over 2 feet long We all make mistakes and it is a learning curve .I don't mind the white look and no matter what you will see the green gunk on even the black liner .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You have a nice big area for a nice big pond where your cute little one is. Make it big as you can cuz you will always want more fish and like sissy says if you make it deeper you won't have to bring them in. 4 or 5' deep would be great!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
South Jersey does not get that cold but is your soil real sandy .I go up to AC and Little Egg Harbor and then stop by Elmer and Buena Vista as i have friends there .Also stop by Brick too .

Reaction score
South Jersey does not get that cold but is your soil real sandy .I go up to AC and Little Egg Harbor and then stop by Elmer and Buena Vista as i have friends there .Also stop by Brick too .
We will be in Virginia in August to take the Auto-Train from Lorton to Walt Disney World. We went to Bush Gardens last year and had a nice time.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I made a rookie mistake of over population per the guidelines. I have some koi and goldfish, but in a while ,some will have to come in the house. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Guidelines are exactly that... just guidelines :) Many of us have more fish than the "guidelines" say, but if you have good filtration you can pack them in pretty good, as long as they aren't bumping in to each other and have room to swim.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
was there but a long time ago .NJ was to expensive to retire so VA was where I headed .I wnted to retire young and relax .hhhm the relaxing part not sure of

Ask a Question