New Pond owner with Lots of Questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
For the ammonia binder, should I just put in an amount equal to what I believe the size of the pond to be? Or should I do smaller increments?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Jacob the ammonia might not be an issue depending on the temperature of your pond. See below. This is why @Meyer Jordan asked. Where do you live?

Ammonia.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my question now is, is the temperature air temperature, or water temperature? Outside temperature today was a high of 70. I know the water temperature is well below that. If I call it 60 degrees, which I believe to still be a high temperature for the water, according to that chart the pond still falls within safe toleration.

If that is the case, what is my next step? Beside getting the ammonia level to 0.0ppm?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You want to get the water temp. If it was me, I would get a water thermometer and verify the temperature of the pond water. Then I would continue to monitor the ammonia and PH levels. I would be watching the ammonia levels waiting for the pond to cycle and the ammonia levels go down. If the temp of the water and/or the ammonia levels become unsafe (according to the chart), I would try some of the ammonia binders that Mitch suggested.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You want to get the water temp. If it was me, I would get a water thermometer and verify the temperature of the pond water. Then I would continue to monitor the ammonia and PH levels. I would be watching the ammonia levels waiting for the pond to cycle and the ammonia levels go down. If the temp of the water and/or the ammonia levels become unsafe (according to the chart), I would try some of the ammonia binders that Mitch suggested.

Thermometer may be here today. I'll keep a watch on it and keep on top of the ammonia level.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and main thing you need to check is the liner .If it is pvc it may need changed if it is old and if it is 45 mil then you should be OK.But it is a pretty pond .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Day 2 Check.

Temperature: 68F
pH: 8.5
Ammonia: 0.50
Nitrite: 0.0
Phosphate: 0.25

So, with that information. I'm going to do a full treatment with the ammonia binder. I also had the pH level spike. Is that because of the weather change?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The PH swing may be due to what time during the day that you took the measurements.
The PH will be lower in the morning and higher in the evening. A swing of .5 PH is ok.
Put the ammonia binder in as soon as you can. It will be effective immediately, but will only remain effective for 24 - 48 hours.
Did you happen to find a KH kit?
Try to test the water at the same time each day, but test daily for now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the KH test kit on order from two places. I'll start adding that info when I can get it.

Is there a better/best time to test? Or is having it be at the same time the key factor?

Should I reset the water for ammonia now? Or just wait for tomorrow?

Ask a Question