New Pond owner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, we bought a house with a neglected pond last year. We cleaned it up over the winter and saved a few taro and iris. I want to learn more about how to maintain the pond and make it a focal point of our house. Thanks in advance for all your help.

I am located in South Florida. Our concrete pond is about 15 feet by 6 feet. There is a shallow portion from half a foot to a foot and then slope down to about three feet deep. I would like to get a night blooming and a day blooming water lilies. Since one side of the pond has waterfall and a mushroom type fountain, that left about a 6 feet by 6 feet area for the lilies. Not sure if the pond is big enough for two tropical lilies. I read that they can spread pretty big. Also, the temperature in our area will get to fifty occasionally during winter, do I need to pull out the tropical lilies during winter time?

Last edited:

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Sorry, no experience with tropical lilies myself.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeflowers.gif
@Orchid_Jan
I would think being anywhere in Florida would be fine for tropical lilies. When any of your lilies get too big you should divide them up and replant. Give away any extra tubers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good. Thank you.
I also read that red color lilies get burn easily in South Florida. I plan to get a white night blooming and a blue day blooming. Hope I won't kill them before they get big enough to share. :LOL::LOL:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

They may have small footprint tropicals, check the online sites.

Ask a Question