New pond owner here

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is the start of my second year as a pond owner … last summer I gave a high school kid a job to build me a pond in the corner of my yard (first mistake) and actually made a lot of design and construction mistakes but by the fall we had a functioning pond of 2000 gallons with a dozen goldfish, a waterfall, a few plants, aeration system, pump and filter - sort off. Then closed it for our Canadian winter of down to -20F or lower. We kept the aeration going and added a small heater. A couple of weeks ago I opened the pond (removed the mesh cover, fired up the pump and waterfall etc) and to my surprise all the fish were moving around and two frogs found a new home!
But I do have a question - what about plants? my wife wants a water lily and some greenery would look nice - I do have a few iris of some type already growing, but any recommendations on plants would be helpful. Many thanks,

Attachments

• B6F1C14C-A90E-4D46-B71D-156440F22B53.jpeg
    B6F1C14C-A90E-4D46-B71D-156440F22B53.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 23

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

Look up plants you can get there. Parrots feather, water willow....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Welcome! Nice looking pond and great job at keeping the goldfish going over the winter.
You can get a water lily (they like sun), and if it's a tropical variety, either treat it as an annual or winter it over in your basement. Experiment and have fun.

Ask a Question