New Pond Owner!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, brand new/first-time home owner here and with it also a first-time pond owner! I'm sure I'm going to have to plenty of questions (like what books should I get, is my pond over-crowded, etc..), but first here's an actual picture of the pond after it was professionaly cleaned yesterday.

62686_3270365470826_1018037629_3045032_697652287_n.jpg

Cheers!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and lucky you that you could get someone to do it and not sure what you mean overcrowded ,meaning fish since I don't see any or just the look .I like the pond .

Reaction score
Welcome and lucky you that you could get someone to do it and not sure what you mean overcrowded ,meaning fish since I don't see any or just the look .I like the pond .

Acordding to the guys who cleaned the pond it's roughly 2500 gallons. In this picture not sure where they are hiding (almost the entire pond is in view), but there are 5 large fish. There are also 27 smaller fish ranging from like 3-9 inches. I will try and get some better pictures of the fish in there and post back this evening.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How did they clean the pond and do you plan on having them do that part for you like in a mantinence agreement .My pond is over 4 feet deep to keep fish cool in the summer and warm in the winter .A deicer will help in the winter

Reaction score
How did they clean the pond and do you plan on having them do that part for you like in a mantinence agreement .My pond is over 4 feet deep to keep fish cool in the summer and warm in the winter .A deicer will help in the winter

They moved the fish to big bins and then drained the pond of all water. They then power washed the stones, rinsed all water theough the bottom rocks until it ran clear. Trimmed back blants, weeded around the pond, replaced lights, cleaned the filters, rearanged some rocks, moved the fish hiding place, re-filled and acclimated the fish.

I would like to do all the maintenance myself throughout the season, but probably use these guys to do a big once-a-year cleanout like this.

The pond itself is about 2.5' deep and the previous owners did leave a de-icer.

Attachments

• fish1.JPG
    fish1.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 296
  • fish2.JPG
    fish2.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 268

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The deicer is a plus but make sure it works before winter does get here .Do you have city water or well water .City water needs to be treated because of the chemicals in it or it could kill the fish .You will still need a test kit .I got mine at pet mountain .com but also get mine tested at a local pet store that does it real cheap and gives me a print out .I'm glad they did not jump out .Forgot do you have any predators that may find your fish a nice meal

Ask a Question