New pond preplanning

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone I am new to koi ponds but not keeping fish. I have been reading a lot of discussions on here for a while now especially bog building. I would like to know if I am thinking of my pond design the right way. Please excuse my horrible drawing.
20210620_122033.jpg

The pond will be 9' wide by 10' long. With a maximum depth of 5'. There will be two shelfs on either side of the pond. The first step will be 8" deep and the second will be 16" deep. After the shelfs will be a straight drop to 5'.

I am planning on having a 2'-3' tall, 22" wide waterfall centered at the back of the pond. This will be fed by the intake bay that is placed almost directly across from the waterfall. The bottom drain will be centered 5'. This will feed the two bogs on the sides. The bogs will be 4' wide and tapered to the front if the pond with minimum of 12".

The only thing I am not sure about is the size of the plumbing and what size pumps I would need. I was thinking of a 4" bottom drain. For the waterfall using 3" plumbing. All with flex pvc.
I was thinking of getting two Aquascape AquaForce 5200 Pump (MPN 91013) from Webbs. (https://webbsonline.com/Item/Aquascape-AquaForce-Asynchronous-Pumps-91013) Would that be good for both the bottom drain to the bog and the intake bay to the waterfall? Or what pumps would you recommend?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advace for all of your help everyone.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! I agree I have no bottom drain but others do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you don't do rocks in the pond, then I think a bottom drain is a good idea. 4" plumbing absolutely. Will work better to gravity feed it to a settling chamber or sieve than to feed it directly to a pump, but will work as pump fed, too.

Two shelves will make your deep area very narrow. How wide will the shelves be?

Otherwise, looks good!

Ask a Question