new pond project

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
fill the top of your skippy with water hiacynths as the multiply toss the new growth into the pond...hiacynths are nutrient sponges...with their long fiberous roots they can really suck up the nitrates which algea feeds on also. they will really help clean up your water and keep it that way. water lettuce is also a pretty healthy eater.( a U.V will stop green water in its tracks in just a few days and keep it clear.)

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
bsr8129 said:
Only one small lilly in there now, my intent this weekend is to get some water hynighth (sp?) or water lettece

hiacynths are more efficient but lettuce adds a bit of variety.. if you have koi, go to the DIY sedction and build some floating plant rings to protect the roots for the ones in the pond. plant your lilles in a mesh pot with 1" stones and peagravel so their roots are able to draw nutrients right from the water also..no need to fertilize either.

Reaction score
here is a pic "finished" still have to add sides and beutify it.

DSC00636.jpg

my luvly green water, hopefully going to take care of this

DSC00633.jpg

the pump was given to me for free so i decide to try it out and see how it works, so far so good, fill my 55 gal drum in 2:40.

DSC00634.jpg

add some water hiacynths to the top of the filter, hopefully will be getting more this week. The pump for some reason adds plenty of air to the filter.

DSC00635.jpg

Currently there are 3 small koi approx 4-5 inch and one 10inch gold fish some where in there. once i get the water clear i will be adding some larger koi from my mom's over stuffed pond

Reaction score
I am also looking to build a skimmer that will be put in the pond as needed, as i have a large pine tree behind the back wall and when its windy out it will blow pine needles and stuff into my pond. I ma going to use a old trash can that has flatsides, cut a weir into it and have a basket with filter material to catch the large stuff and a filter on the bottom with a hole cut out just large enough to pass tubing through, the only question is how big of a pump should i put in there, 250gal/h or 700 gal/h??? i can get a cheap one for 700 off ebay for 30 bucks which will be used only a few times a year.

Reaction score
If you're getting air in the pump line, the pump may be cavitating, which will severely reduce the life of your pump. Looks like you have an external pump. Is the pipe you are using to the input of the pump all the same size as the pump input size (or larger)? Is the input to the pump restricted in any way? You want to make sure the pump can get as much water to it as it can handle, or you'll get cavitation. If that's not the case, your plumbing may have a leak.

Reaction score
The pipe is all the same size on the inlet 1 inch whichbis the same as the pump input size. The reason I think I am getting air is because the pipe on the out let is 1inch but when it transfers to go to the bottom of the barrel it's 2 inch which alows air and some cavitation to happen

Reaction score
The inlet and outlet are 1 inch I will look to what type it is when I get home but I beleive that it's an aquarium pump but like i said it was free and seems to be working for nowand it's pulling 1100 gal/hr and my pond at max full is 1000 gal aprox

Reaction score
just because inlets or outlets are a certain size doesn't mean we can't upsize or downsize them. Remember that when we build these DIY items we are putting together unconventional items....

PS3

Reaction score
you did a great job on the filter my friend. thanks for the pics.
i hope i will have my skippy done before the summer is over lol.
so the water fall pipe is 1 inch? thats a good rush of water

Reaction score
The pump is a little giant pump

I agree with you on the diy stuff the pump was free and the 1 inch pipe was something I had around the house so I decdided to try it and see how it works so far it's working. If it fails i will be going to 1.25 inch flexible tubing.

PS3 the water fall pipe is 2 inch pipe it's hooked up to a 2 inch shower drain I defiantly don't think you can use 1 inch there the barrel will over flow

I have had plenty of set backs. Pump sucking up fish, tubing coming apart and draining half of pond, green water. But it's a learning curve and promotes challenges and new ways to fix problems

Reaction score
Now that you're mentioning tubing coming apart and I'm looking back at your photos--did you glue your pipe together? It looks like you didn't based on the fact that I don't see the purple primer--unless you happen to be a very neat gluer (which is almost impossible with PVC cement).

Ask a Question