New to forum and ponds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cute pond!

What people usually think of as "gold fish" are the 1-inch feeders that you see at the store. But when a fish is taken care of properly, especially in a pond with lots of natural lighting and food sources (algae, insect larvae, etc.) that can really bring out a fish's potential.

Looks like your white fish there has a comet tail (long fins).

The orange and black fish there is going through the phase of getting its "grown up colors" so to speak. Over the next few months (or even years!) the black will slowly retreat. Looks like he'll be solid orange after that.

The red and white fish could be called sarasa, depending on how deep the red coloring becomes. Typically on a fish like that, the body coloring is divided between patches of white and patches of deep red. The deeper the red, the more appealing the fish--and usually the more white, the deeper the red patches will be.

I love it when a goldfish has different lip colors than its main head color. Makes it look like it has little whiskers or lip stick.

Unfortunately, in the goldfish showing world, standard single-tailed goldfish like this (commons and comets) are under-appreciated. However, there are still ways your fish can be impressive! Feeder fish can have excellent growth, live for a very long time, and have beautiful, jewel-like coloration that really light up the pond!
Cold the white be a veil tail??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cold the white be a veil tail??
That depends on your definition. There are some who would describe a veil tail as simply belonging to a fish that has fins as long as its body size. Others say that a veil tail must have the "broad tail" gene, but with a tail that length. Broad tail would mean that there would not be a V or scissor shape to the tail. Instead, each tail is more wedge-shaped, so that the fin looks like a veil:

1594075702350.png

Usually "veil tail" refers to a double-tailed fancy goldfish, but, as is clear in the fish above, the veil-shaped tail can occur in comets as well.

It doesn't look like the white goldfish has a broad tail gene, but it does have fins that are long relative to its body size, and this could become more and more pronounced as the fish ages.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You guys are amazing with your knowledge on here... I’m impressed!! Tha k you for the insight.. I ask because the more I know what I have the better I can take care of them

Ask a Question