New to the group and to ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Weeping Willow are definitely in the plan. I read up them and felt they were a necessity with the water we have to manage. Also considering pussy willow but haven't started looking at plants for in the pond just yet. I have been considering fish mainly to keep mosquito population down as best we can, but haven't started researching what varieties may be best to look at. We are in Wisconsin, zone 5.

Thank you for all the info and advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
As big as that is, you might talk to your local fish and game warden. They sometimes stock ponds with sport fish. Or if they have a breeding plan for a fish that’s endangered, low population, they might stock some in your pond once it’s established well. Thinking back to my time in Minnesota, I recall lots of pussy willows, quaking aspen, and pines doing good despite high water tables.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
As big as that is, you might talk to your local fish and game warden. They sometimes stock ponds with sport fish. Or if they have a breeding plan for a fish that’s endangered, low population, they might stock some in your pond once it’s established well. Thinking back to my time in Minnesota, I recall lots of pussy willows, quaking aspen, and pines doing good despite high water tables.

That's a great idea. I'll put that on my list of things needing research. And there are lots of Quaking Aspen in our area too. They are on my list of trees I want in the yard, both front and back. We chose a charcoal color for our siding and I think the white bark will make the trees stand out beautifully. Also want some variety of Red Maple for contrast.

I was hoping to have a bog area, but I don't know with the size it could end up being if that's even possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Look into wetland filtration. If you slope the sides gradually, and add lots of plants, you’ll develop that naturally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Look into wetland filtration. If you slope the sides gradually, and add lots of plants, you’ll develop that naturally.

If the sides are at a gradual slope, what types of plants would be best for the shallowest part? Or do you not plant there at all? I haven't found anything on that yet in my searches, but I have been curious. Anything I seem to find shows a shelf around the perimeter at about 18" depth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
All the bog plants, rushes, reeds, you can grow iris, arrow root, etc along the edges. Then over time, they will fill in. Lillies do good up to 3 ft for most variety’s, and will spread like crazy. Look on PondMega Store for marginal plants, see what’s native to your area, go to local ponds and lakes, see what’s growing in the shallows.

Ask a Question