New to this, Annapolis, MD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, my thirteen year old son has decided we need a koi pond. He says the bigger the better. We have mapped out the pond and he has roped in his ten year old sister and the two of them are voraciously digging up my yard! So I am here to educate ourselves on how to go about this. Looking forward to getting tons of great advice from everyone here.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard Logan. Bigger is better, they are going to need help with filters. That's a biggy you'll need to do more research on. for them, they need to go deep, at least 4' foot for Koi in your area, maybe even deeper. So let them dig, Tell them it needs to be over there heads! Believe me, two - four kids digging is going to take them a while. But don't discourage. there is so much to learn from ponds for you children and many families
find it to be a family affair and enjoyment. Good luck on your adventure.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome from another Marylander! If you want koi, yep make sure it is big and good filtration. Or stick with shubunkins, goldfish, slightly tougher fish not as filter fussy. And pretty!

When you want fish drive out to thurmont, found a great couple that raises fish for sale, for the past 30 years. Beautiful fish and not expensive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is probably a good idea for us to stick to tougher fish. Would be interested to get the details of the couple from Thurmont selling fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and I have koi and can tell you first hand they are not easy fish to take care of and they get very big .My pond is around 5000 gallons .Gold fish are much easier and do not get as big but just make sure you do not get a lot of them because they will make babies .Do your research on every thing you need for a pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a goldfish pond and a koi pond. Only difference I have noticed are that the koi seem to have not as clear of water; however, my goldfish pond has a huge bog. I suspect that is the difference more than the type of fish, although the koi ARE larger. If you buy goldfish, even for the first fish you put in there to "test" the water, pick them individually. Even if you get feeder fish, you can usually pick them out. Choose ones with pretty markings, long tails, whatever trips your trigger. The kids will love this part best, because they will have "special" fish. The whole process is going to be fun. Enjoy the task with kids. How wonderful!!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is probably a good idea for us to stick to tougher fish. Would be interested to get the details of the couple from Thurmont selling fish.

Here is their web site. And if you come out this way and want some plants I have tons of pond plants. Their fish are very nice big sizes for not a bunch of bucks. They do sell to lilypons, the same fish at lilypons would be 12 bucks vs 5

http://eatonsgoldfish.com/fish.php

Here are shubunkins I just picked up from them

img_0676-jpg.79796

Reaction score
Country
United States
Addy, once school is over we are going to make a trip to Lilypons. Would it be ok for us to stop by, see your ponds, and chat to you?
How do I private msg you?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, once school is over we are going to make a trip to Lilypons. Would it be ok for us to stop by, see your ponds, and chat to you?
How do I private msg you?
Sure we wander around a lot so might have to arrange the date. Skip lilypons if you are going for fish, they get them from Eaton's go to the source.......
Just click on my name, then click start a conversation. For a pm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome, it's a great time of year to start ponding. I've had both koi, shubunkin and comets....I currently only have koi. They do grow big and require more filtration and shubunkin are so pretty...probably a good choice to start with :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WarnerBirm

Latest Threads