New Water Garden This Morning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Love it pecan! Very cool. Are you planning on putting any fish in your little pond area?

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Love the new creation, Pecan. What is the tree in the middle, or it looks like a young tree? And, I never have been able to get hyacinths to grow in the pond, but put them in still water flower pots, and it grew fine. I have not figured it out yet. Some say water hyacinth likes moving water, or no movement, shallow, or deep, hot water, or not too hot. Was ready to give up 2 years ago, put them in pot, and they did great. I would have thought that would have been much hotter than the pond, but maybe it was the still water they wanted.
CE my water hyacinths don't grow in the pond but they do in the creeks and i think it's because my fish gobble up all the roots and therefore they never get a chance to flourish.

Pecan great job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I didn't have luck in the creek either, T'mann. And, in the ponds, I had them in a netted floating ring, so fish could not get to them. They did do better in the goldfish pond than the koi pond, but thinking that has to do with the water quality, maybe. Anyhow, I may get a few and put them in the large pots I had them in last time with success.
Pecan and T'Mann, remind me, do you leave your cypress trees in the ponds in the winter when it freezes, or bring them out?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes, I do and I believe I saw TMan mention he does as well.

Mine was sitting on the top shelf of my pond with the water as high as the pot. It has frozen pretty solid in the small pot it has been in and survived. Last winter I put an air stone next to it trying to prevent it from freezing but the air stone went out and it froze solid overnight and stayed like that till the ice thawed. When I got mine when it was tiny, a little stick about 6" high. It is maybe 2' tall now.

I plan on leaving it where it is for the winter.

Ask a Question