Square containers for water garden?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I am looking for a water garden container more attractive than a black rubber water trough, even if I have to spend a bit more. I am looking on home depot's website and found a bunch of square or rectangular containers. Would they work, or would they bow under the pressure of the water? Here's an example; https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-De...one-Clay-Lattice-Planter-9432000810/206687283 Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
clay can be absorbent and not hold up to water .I built a wood one for my sister and lined it with pvc liner .I know the pvc will not hold up over time but it is more flexable .She saw one like it at lowes and sent me a pic and of course I built it for her .It was rectangle not square

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
For a water trough? 40 or 110 gallon tuff stuff troughs. In general? At least 20 gallons, preferably bigger

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw square stock tanks at a local place here .It was a garden store that sells a few fish ,so many you can find garden stores online and call them .I know the place up in the Shenandoah Valley of va carries square ponds of all sizes .Maybe you can find one near you

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd just pick a pot you like and line it w/the EPDM liner. Prolly could just glue it to the inside easy. Go w/a planter w/hard sides like steel or the clay might work fine. Not sure how clay will hold up to freezing and thawing in your zone 5 area tho. If you go the liner route make sure it is a pot w/a hole in the bottom or it could get water freezing in between liner and pot and bust it apart. Maybe you would just be using it during the Summer?

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah, not planning on leaving it outside during the winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put my stock tank on a furniture type dolly I made and roll it right into the basement .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
In general? At least 20 gallons, preferably bigger

Aquascape makes patio pond containers designed for this purpose. Here's mine - holds about 35 gallons:
Patio pond.JPG

Ask a Question