New Water Garden This Morning

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The water has cleared from the silt of the gravel and the last of the plants are in. I just love my new water garden :) This morning I took some pictures. I put some hyacinths in several spots to see how they do. The big pond never could keep hyacinths alive so I am wondering if the new water garden will be better at it.

DSCN5326.JPG
DSCN5328.JPG
DSCN5329.JPG
DSCN5330.JPG
DSCN5331.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you! I am really happy with how it turned out. I have some extra lily tubers in a bucket in the big pond. I think I might put one in the little pond at the end of the water garden. I saved an extra one of each color I have (white, yellow, red and pink) but I cant remember which is which LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you! I am really happy with how it turned out. I have some extra lily tubers in a bucket in the big pond. I think I might put one in the little pond at the end of the water garden. I saved an extra one of each color I have (white, yellow, red and pink) but I cant remember which is which LOL

I have that same problem. Recently I started putting the colored ones in colored pans. The white ones are all in black oil pans.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have that same problem. Recently I started putting the colored ones in colored pans. The white ones are all in black oil pans.

Last fall I placed them in a row in alphabetical order in the pond, Pink, Red, White, Yellow. But when I transplanted them all this spring the extra tubers got thrown into one bucket to stay until I could figure out if someone wanted them or not. Each tuber is a different so I thought I'd remember by size. But now I have no clue what was what! Darn that relying on memory! I should know better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Last fall I placed them in a row in alphabetical order in the pond, Pink, Red, White, Yellow. But when I transplanted them all this spring the extra tubers got thrown into one bucket to stay until I could figure out if someone wanted them or not. Each tuber is a different so I thought I'd remember by size. But now I have no clue what was what! Darn that relying on memory! I should know better.

My memory has always been non existent. I would like to blame it on age, but it's been that way my whole life. Just promote it as "grab bag" lilies .... lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Love it Pecan! Do you have a little bit of Azolla in there? If so you will soon have a lot. Just toss it into the big pond and see if the fish will eat it when you get too much. Not sure if they will or not but I hear it makes great compost material if you get too much :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Love it Pecan! Do you have a little bit of Azolla in there? If so you will soon have a lot. Just toss it into the big pond and see if the fish will eat it when you get too much. Not sure if they will or not but I hear it makes great compost material if you get too much :)

Yes there are Azolla in there :) The local nursery pond guy (we are on a first name basis) gives me hand fulls for free. It has been hit and miss depending on their location in past years whether they grow like crazy or die. So I put a little in each pot and each pool of water to see which ones do best :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Love the new creation, Pecan. What is the tree in the middle, or it looks like a young tree? And, I never have been able to get hyacinths to grow in the pond, but put them in still water flower pots, and it grew fine. I have not figured it out yet. Some say water hyacinth likes moving water, or no movement, shallow, or deep, hot water, or not too hot. Was ready to give up 2 years ago, put them in pot, and they did great. I would have thought that would have been much hotter than the pond, but maybe it was the still water they wanted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks everyone :)
CE the tree is the same as TMans. A bald cypress in a pot. I repoted it into 3 gallon pot and have that slid inside a large 10 gallon I think. That way I can pull it out easily. I have had it since the first year of our big pond (2011) it only started growing last year, but I think that's because I started putting lily fert tabs in the pot.

Ask a Question