newbie here to ponds do u

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CW:

you might put a lotus in, but depending on depth of water (should be deeper than your typical ice line) you might have to bring it in for the winter. This is what I've done, but mine is in a large pot on the patio as I didn't want to be sinking the pot each winter. Actually, it was the 'lifting' of the pot in the spring that caused me to pause. They like a lot of room and you could have a lotus-only pond. Just an idea.

Michael

LOL Sissy. We have one that hubby removed from a clients yard (installed a liner, something more suited to their needs)... As a joke, we threw it in one of our front beds. Thought it would be cute with a dwarf lily in it (it is 60" long)... hubby even added a bucket (with a couple of water hyacinths), to give it a waterfall... Didnt work out so well... Whenever we would be out front, the damn dog would sit in it! I am determined to find a use for it LOL. I was thinking maybe a mini planting bog for one of the small ponds going in next spring??? or maybe an island planting bed for the "main pond"???

Reaction score
Thanks Michael, we will eventually add some lotus to the main ponds, but this little tub really isnt good for all that much. It is tiny. Maybe 60" x 30" x 18" deep... Talked to hubby about it, and he liked the idea of making it a bog (filled with grasses) to attach to a small liner pond (maybe 1500 gallons).

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks Michael, we will eventually add some lotus to the main ponds, but this little tub really isnt good for all that much. It is tiny. Maybe 60" x 30" x 18" deep... Talked to hubby about it, and he liked the idea of making it a bog (filled with grasses) to attach to a small liner pond (maybe 1500 gallons).
That's a perfect size to make a bog and Lotus garden, If you can find one of the smaller lotus types like Momo Batan it will do great for several season before needing thinning, By that point the bog will need cleaning anyway

Reaction score
I do want some lotus but want to put them into a roomy area. My thoughts with making this tiny pool a bog, was plant it, and forget it, with very hungry type of plants... that's why I was thinking grasses??? I could be wrong, but I thought lotus were more of a tropical plant? I am having a rough time keeping plants straight LOL. I think of lotus like a tropical lily, that sticks its dahlia like flower out of the water? Am I thinking the right plant?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lotus i started from seed ,just got them from the craft store .Just have to look for the seed heads that are big and file the pointy part off and they grow .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are really simple to get started and a lot of people on here started them from seed also .The wine glass worked great .I think you could cut them back and bring them in .It takes awhile for them to get nice big roots and to flower .Mine are in the basement now .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I should try one, but I don't have full all day sun and no where to put one, front yard pond too shady, maybe in the future if I steal the garden space and make another pond or somthing! I have been eyeing up the garden for years.... maybe now that hubby does not smoke he will not need it!!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some keep them in tubs because they don't need a lot of room to grow they just get tall .The roots do get bigger when they get older but you can trim them and the flowers are pretty and you can eat the meat in the pods just not the pit which is the seed .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never heard of them but I thought duck eggs were really a strong flavor .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sissy, they are not your ordinary type of cookie, they are not really a cookie either, don't know what you would call them, but they come in a red fancy box, cost about 15 to 20 dollars, and as far as I know only the oriental people seem to eat them. If we run out of them at the Bakery, they panic and look stressed, I think they are Chinese people mostly, and its for some Chinese celebration of some sort. We only have them in September and I would say it is an "acquired taste"!

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
iam not sure if my koi fish lived in the pond i have her in right here in ut its been -8 every night for the last 2 weeks and i can't get to the pond the owner has left for the winter to az i don't want to trespass in the back yard to see how the fish is doing :( so i may not have a koi fish to pick up in the spring time so wish me luck that she made it this winter time

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
amazing how they can live in an uncared pond .I took when out that had been abandoned over 3 years ago and found koi over 2 feet long still healthy and active .I got money for some of them and gave some away to a new pond builder and gave them the liner from that pond also .I gave them some of the smaller ones and they are still all ok .keeping fingers crossed that it will be the same for you .As soon as i look at a pond that needs taken out or fish removed I get written permission from th beginning with phone number of the person and address .This way there are no questions .I even talk to the neighbors if I can to let them know with the owner I will be there .Makes it less of a problem on both parts .

Ask a Question