Newbie needs advise

Reaction score
I built a 275 gallon pond (flex liner) 3 years ago. No fish, it's only 14" deep, and it's in full sun so the algae problem is awful. I have a Pondmaster MagDrive 700 gal/hr. pump with a tiny "prefilter" and no skimmer or any other equipment (PUMP ONLY.) The pump just sends water through tubes over the rocks above the pool. The water turns green in just a few days. I've added bleach and I've tried "pool shock" for swimming pools without success. WITHOUT STARTING OVER, what equipment can I add or what can I do to keep the water clear?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
some plants would help .... but if youve been adding bleach it will probably kill them and anything else that goes in your pond ...so maybe empty and start again ...perhaps a small filter outside the pond behind your rocks

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If your going to try and keep it clear like that take a water sample to a pool place and have them sample and give you what you beed to balance the PH, and alkalinity. Once it is balanced, you will add chlorine shock and calcium. This helps to keep the chlorine locked in. Algae actually use up the chlorine at very fast rates. You will need swimming pool algaeside to kill it. In order for the chlorine to work and keep the pond clear you need to keep the chlorine level around 2-3ppm all the time. Keep in mind that by doing this NOTHING can be kept alive in such a system.

Reaction score
I read about an in-pond skimmer to help keep the trash in check. Would this be a benefit? Along with the chlorine shock and what do I use to test that I have the correct amount of chemicals?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
im a little worried about using all these chemicals ... i know your not keeping fish in it but what about insects and birds that will come to it for a drink ...try a uv light like dodad suggested they will clear your green water

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If your going to go the chemical route you will need a Pool test kit and need to deal with swimming pool folks for the proper balance. If your going natural and don't want to use chemicals then the UV light may be the better choice.
stroppy, if he goes the chemical route it's just like swimming pool water. Not to high to hurt animals but high enough to keep the water purified and clear of algea

Reaction score
Shadowfax, what is your purpose in having a 275 gallon pond with no fish and no plants? It's too much water to be a simple "water feature," isn't it? Did you originally plan to have fish or perhaps a lily pond? We could offer you better advice if we knew your goals.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used hydrogen peroxide to kill algae, not sure how long it would keep it killed in your set up. 1 liter per 1000 gallons.

Ask a Question